News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Fake email failure messages, help needed very urgently

Started by Oboiro500, September 02, 2015, 08:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oboiro500

I just got account validation email message to work. My site email is odcp at destinycontrolmetaphysics dot org When i opened the email, I met over 200 email failure messages within the first hour. Each had been sent to a different email that looks like machine generated. I asked my Host for help and they said it owed to wrong time set on the website. That I should report to you. The emails are still pouring in. I need help urgently and fast.

Kindred

what do you mean "Fake"?

And I have no idea what your host could be talking about "owed to wrong time set on the website"

The website uses the server time... unless you have added an offset - but still uses the server time as a baseline.

(also, I altered the email address above - otherwise you WILL get spammed)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Can you give us an example of one of these "failure messages"? Remember to edit any sensitive information they might contain (eg: members names and emails)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

JBlaze

I'm guessing that there are many spambots that are registered to the forum that haven't been cleaned out, and they have invalid email addresses. I would also think that he's receiving failure messages because he's using SMTP instead of PHP for sending mail.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Oboiro500

Attached is a screen shot of report. It rreally shows time and date set in future/past

This is a copy of reply from my host :
Hello,

It seems that date/time used in your mailing script is set wrong. Currently server time is Wed Sep 2 15:19:40 EDT 2015
.Remote mail server are rejecting your emails because they obviously have time stamp either from past or future and remote servers are rejecting them with error:550 Date header far in the past/future.

Please advise with your web developers on how to resolve this issue as time and date are correctly set on server hosting your domain.

Kindred

don't know about the future... but "far in the past" is probably because all of your messages have been queuing up since you started your forum and were never sent....  now that your mail is working, the system is sending them out.

These are NOT "FAKE" emails ---   they are REAL emails being sent out by your system

How long has your forum been around? How long has it been failing to send emails?

There is no setting in SMF to change/set the YEAR  it only allows a HOURLY offset to the server time---   so there is nothing that can be done in SMF settings

I'd suggest that your system will probably finish sending all of the saved up emails -- generate errors -- and then go to normal.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

i believe in the mail queue in the admin panel you can select messages and delete them out of the queue. that may help with this issue.

Kindred

ah yes... good idea. Clear the queue and then see if the messages send without error.
Слaва
Украинi

Oboiro500

I just checked the Mail Queue. Statistics are intimidating. Mail queue length is 220,933. Oldest mail is 955.5 days. Pages are 11,044. How can I delete them? I see option of deleting by page. Any options to delete all at once?

How do I enable or disable the mail queue? Can't find it on Mail queue page.

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

and... perhaps seriously consider getting a new host?  So far, nearly every answer they have given you has been the laziest answer possible (yes, the messages are rejected because they have very old dates) --- However, they should have been able to tell that your system was actually attempting to send those messages from a queue...
Слaва
Украинi

Oboiro500

I have downloaded the "von Collins Delete". I have unzipped it. The folder contains 3 files. I have opened the install .xml  and see the html. Where do I copy and paste this?

JBlaze

Quote from: Oboiro500 on September 03, 2015, 05:47:50 PM
I have downloaded the "von Collins Delete". I have unzipped it. The folder contains 3 files. I have opened the install .xml  and see the html. Where do I copy and paste this?

Please see the documentation on the Package Manager

You will need to upload the entire .zip archive using the Package Manager.
Jason Clemons

Oboiro500

I have the package manager before me. Can I not use other clients such as WinSCP to upload the .zip archive?

margarett

Why do you think you need to upload the package yourself? Package Manager does that for you ;)

Oboiro500

The suspense is getting too much. How do I get the manager to do it?

Illori

JBlaze

Jason Clemons

Oboiro500

i have read it. It says I can do it from my desktop. This package is not yet on the manager page of my desktop. Where do I go from this package manager page on my desktop? I have the page before me.

Kindred

I don't think you read it closely... Or apparently did not quite understand it.

Go to the package manager in smf admin
Choose download packages from the package manager sub menu
At the bottom of that screen, there is an upload option. Select that and browse to the copy of the zip file on your local pc.
Upload it.
Install it.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: