Mod seemingly installs but no modifications are made in the files

Started by bjornforum, September 04, 2015, 05:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjornforum

Please also refer to this topic, since it is exactly the same problem. Same plugin, same issue.

I tried to install "Simple Audio Video embedder" plugin, both v3.3 and 3.4.
Both times I see all "success" with the pre-install check, and no error when I actually click the install button, but no changes are made to the files. The plugin shows as installed in package manager though.  If I click uninstall, all pre-uninstall checks show "failed" obviously.

Other plugins install correctly. Tested this before and after I tried installing "Simple Audio Video embedder".
Tried this on 2 forums, although both are on the same server. Both forums are 2.0.10.

It is very strange that I experience this problem only with this specific plugin, as does the TS in the topic I linked to above.

Manual install will probably work, but it's a plugin with active development, so it would be nice to be able to quickly update :)

Thanks for your help!

margarett

I just tested locally and the MOD installs and uninstalls cleanly.

Check this post
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=515350.msg3654634#msg3654634

If other MODs install correctly, then it's even more strange. Which other MODs did you try?
Are the other files extracted from the MOD? (eg, after install, do you have "AutoEmbedMediaPro.php" in your Sources folder?)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bjornforum

Yes AutoEmbedMediaPro2.php is present after install and removed after uninstall.

I've got many plugins actually. ~40 installed. Never had any issue with installing or uninstalling mods before. Some downloaded from SMF mod side, some edited by me and some written by me. I can PM you a screenshot if you wish. I'd rather don't show the whole list publicly b/c I do have some competition in the forum world ;)

margarett

Nah, not a problem ;)

I just want to understand if your other MODs also perform file edits or (eg) just use hooks.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bjornforum

Many plugins with file edits :)

I think I found what is causing the problem although I don't know how to fix it.

Other mods ask me for FTP details. This one doesn't. Is it possible the permission check is not working correctly for this mod and therefor not showing me the FTP options?

margarett

Yes and no.
*THIS* MOD alone can't (I think) do that. Every MOD just gives instructions to Package Manager on what to do with files edits and/or files to copy, code to run, etc.

It is possible, however, that this MOD is trying to edit files that others don't, and that these files appear writable to PHP (eg: is_writable returns TRUE). Package Manager only tests the files and folders which each MOD needs to "touch".

Do you have a test forum on the same server? We could try to edit the .xml install file, removing some instructions at a time until we find the culprit. I would start by removing the line that tries to copy the "cache" folder, because it exists already in SMF...

bjornforum

BAM you are good :)

I removed the cache dir instructions and it installed fine!

Would there also be a fix possible without removing the instruction? Change permissions of cache folder or something like that?

Thanks!

margarett

Quote from: bjornforum on September 04, 2015, 07:14:27 AMBAM you are good :)
I know, right?

Quote from: bjornforum on September 04, 2015, 07:14:27 AM
Would there also be a fix possible without removing the instruction? Change permissions of cache folder or something like that?
Probably, but I honestly don't know. For some reason, the following edits are skipped after that failed copy attempt (the cache folder exists, isn't empty, so the operation fails) so I'm more inclined to an issue in PackMan itself. Anyway, that operation isn't necessary so remove it is not a wrong thing to do ;)

Advertisement: