Is there a way to convert some things to images?

Started by Jade Elizabeth, September 04, 2015, 11:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

If a user uploads a power point presentation, word document, or pdf...is there something I can use to make these into images? Even if only one of them does it I'd like to know.

Can a GD module do that? Not that I could really use that information but I am curious about what it does beyond resizing images :-X.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

margarett

For PDFs you might be able to get something
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/467793/how-do-i-convert-a-pdf-document-to-a-preview-image-in-php

But to convert Microsoft formats in a PHP environment... If it was under .net maybe, but in PHP I don't think so...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Jade Elizabeth

Oh that looks brilliant!

I wonder how hard it would be to integrate into SMF.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Joshua Dickerson

That does look pretty cool. I think you're going to need a different library for each mime type. Quick search turned up https://code.google.com/p/jodconverter

Nothing is going to be native PHP from what I can tell.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Jade Elizabeth

So I probably wouldn't be able to plug it into smf's attachments system to turn PDF's etc into image attachments? I was hoping it might be simple enough to get it to check what the file type is and then make the appropriate system handle it, then bring the results back for SMF to store as an attachment.

Advertisement: