News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mamber group Name

Started by SychO, September 04, 2015, 05:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SychO

So i know there is a limit of characters in the member group name,

how can i modify the limit ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Illori

why do you want to modify the limit? if it is to add html to the name, will not tell you how as that will break your forum.

SychO

why woul it break  :-\

it is simple HTML  :-\
Checkout My Themes:
-

Steve

Because html is a security risk and smf is designed to prevent the use of it in places where it would cause problems.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

you can not put HTML into the membergroup name. period. Doing so will cause issues... LOTS of issues.
ESPECIALLY if you are trying top put so much html in that you ran out of characters.

don't do it.

instead, why don't you tell use what you were trying to accomplish with the HTML and we might be able to suggest a better way of doing it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SychO

Just for exemple

Director General membergroup name

the member group color is red, in a post the member's membergroup is not red

thats why i set <font color="red">Director General</font>
Checkout My Themes:
-

Steve

Kindred

exactly...  using HTML in the membergroup name is BAD. Don't do it.
(I believe we have totally prevented it in 2.1)

The mod that Steve pointed you to will allow you to do it correctly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SychO

The mod didn't work the member group names in the posts or profiles still default gray :)
Checkout My Themes:
-

Kindred

are you using the default theme?
Did you clear your server and browser cache?
Слaва
Украинi

SychO

Quote from: Kindred on September 05, 2015, 10:10:09 AM
are you using the default theme?
Did you clear your server and browser cache?

No i'm not using the default theme,

and yes i cleared cache :)
Checkout My Themes:
-

SychO

Its alright guys, i can keep using HTML,

Forget about The limits thing,

Thanx for your time
Checkout My Themes:
-

Kindred

using HTML **WILL** break things.

It may also stop working with one of the next upgrades....
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

All we can do is warn him/her. Ah well, you can lead a horse to water and all that. :)

SychO

Warn me ? why :o i didn't do anything bad

is it because i'm putting MY FORUM in errors danger ?

O.o i'm confused, is there a mod that makes the member group names as colored as in the online list, simple colorizer colored the members names with the color of the group in online list.
Checkout My Themes:
-

br360

Nobody is warning you because you did anything bad, they are just trying to give you a head's up about the potential problems you will have by using html with your membergroups.

The mod that Steve linked above will in fact change the color of the members groups in the online list.

Steve

Yea, warn as in, warning - if you do this you'll break things ... not warn you personally. :)

SychO

Quote from: Steve on September 05, 2015, 06:36:26 PM
Yea, warn as in, warning - if you do this you'll break things ... not warn you personally. :)

oh okay :) and sorry

I understand that it might beak things, personnaly i havn't seen anything broken yet,

and i need to use html not only for member group name but also in Board Name / Description

I need it, However i think you can lock the topic i marked it as solved and thank you for you time

peaceout.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Illori

if you go in a users profile and try to assign them an additional membergroup, how well would that work with html in the name field? as far as i know the names will not show and you will end up with a box of blanks to pick from.

the same thing about html in the board description applies, this and for membergroups has been removed in 2.1. so if you ever upgrade to 2.1 it will break whatever you have applied and just show the html instead.

SychO

Quote from: Illori on September 06, 2015, 01:32:22 PM
if you go in a users profile and try to assign them an additional membergroup, how well would that work with html in the name field? as far as i know the names will not show and you will end up with a box of blanks to pick from.

the same thing about html in the board description applies, this and for membergroups has been removed in 2.1. so if you ever upgrade to 2.1 it will break whatever you have applied and just show the html instead.

For now the name fields in assigning are working just fine :

however for the version, if upgrading to 2.1 is bad for me than i'll simply not upgrade ;D
Checkout My Themes:
-

Advertisement: