News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

We need HELP badly...

Started by Novice, September 05, 2015, 04:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novice

Our coin club just lost the member that had control of our forum. We were using SMF ver. 1-1-21. I have an August backup that has the data and structure but, can't seem to get that version of the program to install. And even if I could I'm guessing I would have trouble doing a restoration.

We are using GoDaddy and it has Linux hosting. I know it will work because it let me install the latest 2.0 version.

I need someone to come to our rescue that understands the terminology. I'm sure that this will be a simple fix for someone other than us.

Antechinus

Do you have any file backups? In particular, Settings.php?

You don't actually need to install 1.1.21, and frankly it is probably better if you don't. It's starting to show its age with newer versions of PHP, and is impossible to patch effectively.

If you can import the old db backup, and if you have a copy of Settings.php with the required info in it, then you can use a 2.0.x upgrade pack to go straight to 2.0.10. It contains all the files needed, so you don't actually need all the 1.1.21 files.

Illori

is the backup you have from the admin panel? if so it is possible it is not complete. the admin panel backup is known to not do a full backup. it is possible you may be out of luck.

RVB

Quote from: Illori on September 05, 2015, 05:47:39 AM
is the backup you have from the admin panel? if so it is possible it is not complete. the admin panel backup is known to not do a full backup. it is possible you may be out of luck.

Good to know.. what is backup from admin panel including ?

Illori

it is a database backup, but due to the size of the database or the hosting restrictions it may be part of the database or almost nothing at all.

margarett

The first thing to do is to import the backup you do have and see what's inside.

Try to import that backup to a new database in phpmyadmin.

But you got me lost. Is the forum still running? Or that user shut down the forum before he left?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Novice

All of the program files are gone from the website including the current settings file. I have an older one. The original hosting was cancelled and the domain name was parked. All we have now is the backups from the Admin panel and a new hosting plan with a new domain name that is the same other than being a (.com) it's (.org). I used MySQL and uploaded it into a new SQL file and it worked except for an error that popped up in one of he search files, but it looked as though it was all there.

Is there any hope for our recovery?

Antechinus

Ok, Settings.php isn't essential. Best thing to try is to install 2.0.10 to the new hosting. If that works, gut the database (drop all tables, but keep the db itself) and import the old 1.1.21 backup to that database. IF it has all the data and structure, the following should work.

Grab the upgrade PHP and SQL files from the 2.0.10 large upgrade pack (upgrade.php and upgrade_1-1.sql) and upload them to your forum root directory. Run the upgrade script (go to yourdomain/forumfolder/upgrade.php). This should convert the 1.1.21 database to 2.0.10. Since you will already have the 2.0.10 files in place, you should end up with a working forum. :)

Illori

you also need the 2.0 sql files as well, or you will not really be upgrading the database to 2.0.

Novice

I have 2.0.10 up and running now. Terminology check here (your dealing with an idiot). You want me to erase all of the files in the current database but not erase the the database itself...correct? Then do an upload of the most current backup I have with the data files and structure into this empty new database. Where are the 2.0 sql files? Is this the file on SMF.org that upgrades from 2.0 and earlier?

Antechinus

Not files. Tables. Use the option that says "Drop tables" and make sure all of them are selected.

Required upgrade files are in the attached zip. Upload them to your forum root directory.

Novice

Done Dropped and ready to upload backup. In format specific option: should I choose one of them or NONE?

Antechinus

None should be ok. Try that first.

Antechinus

Well actually it will depend on what your old database was running, but I'm assuming it was standard MYSQL.

Novice

The are in there now and I got an error. I attached it to this message. Also, I see the Upgrade.PHP file that I need. Do I need to add all of the upgrade sql versions or just the 1.x?

Antechinus

Just upload all the files that were in the zip I attached. I bundled them up for you.

Regarding that error: did you drop all tables, or did you just empty all tables. They had to be dropped, so the remaining database was just an empty shell.

Antechinus

I have to run now. Things to do. BBL. :)

Novice

I selected Drop. I uploaded the Upgrade Files (upgrade.php & all of the version.sql files. I ran the upgrade and it began with the admin disabled I chose the recommended backup and maintenance mode then clicked continue. Attached is the screenshot of what took place and what it was needing.

Antechinus

You can't run the upgrade script until you have successfully imported the database content. The upgrade script does the db upgrades, but needs content to work on.

About that duplicate key error: is that on the first run through the import process? Or did it stop, and then you tried again?

Novice

It completely died and I'm in the process of starting all over. The version GoDaddy has for me to install is 2.0.10. Once I get this one going, I'll do the Upgrade Files import, Dump the working files then import the August backup of the original site. If any of these steps are out of order please advise.

To answer your last post. Yes the new files were dumped and the backup was uploaded and then I ran the upgrade.php file. The error occurred and I let the system set for at least an hour thinking something was going on that I could not see. I clicked try again and it told me that it had already been run once and I didn't know where to go what to do from that point.

About that duplicate key error: is that on the first run through the import process? Or did it stop, and then you tried again?
First Run

I wished you were here for about an hour. You could pull me out of the quicksand I'm in. I think you would laugh your ass off my ignorance and at least I would get to hear you do it.

Advertisement: