Hi - have i installed smf in the correct location?

Started by noland, September 09, 2015, 10:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Then That host is completely misconfigured and who know what else won't work correctly.

The op distinctly wants the forum in the root of the domain...    Sounds like the host is a piece of junk...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Seems to be many things wrong with the install, it's causing browser errors, certificate errors - it's a mess.  OP should delete the whole thing and start over with the 2.0 install package into /public_html.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

margarett

Then you have a very weird setup. Check with your host which folder represents your site "root". That's where SMF's files need to be
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

noland

Hello hello hello everyone.

Thanks for all your input

I reread everything and uploaded the repair protocol to my cpanel with my ftp program.

I uploaded it to the public-html directory

as this bit from my smf install confirmation shows - it seems to be the correct location where smf is installed.

A new installation of SMF 2.0.10 has been completed. The details of the installation are shown below:
Path : /home/dowsing/public_html//home/dowsing/public_html/
URL : http://www.dowsinghealers.com/ [nofollow]/home/dowsing/public_html/
Admin URL : http://www.dowsinghealers.com/ [nofollow]/home/dowsing/public_html//index.php?action=admin
Admin Username :
Admin Password :

Update Notification : Enabled
Auto Upgrade : Disabled
Automated Backups : Disabled
Time of Installation : September 14, 2015, 3:44 pm

ok.  so the included phot shows a screenshot of the repair program in the same directory.

but visually nothing has changed with the forum - it still doesnt display correctly.

I was advised by smeone in this help forum to "link it" to the smf program?
I tried to right click and theres no apparent way to run it.
It seems to be in the same directory as smf (I think so)

More help plz.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

margarett

That double forward slash is just weird...

Oh and don't ever, ever post usernames and passwords in public boards. I removed them for you
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Gluz

Your host have a very bad configured things or you do something strange, because you have a public_html folder inside your public_html folder, also a home folder in it, and from what I see in the path you posted, also a public_html folder inside the home folder that is inside the public_html folder. You have a real mess with folders where it shouldn't be.

I think the best way to solve it is by start over, delete all the content of public_html folder (the one below public_ftp one) and then upload there the SMF installer package, that way your forum will be directly in your domain (www.dowsinghealers.com).

Sir Osis of Liver

That would explain why you need /public_html/ in the url to reach the forum.  It's a subdirectory of server /public_html/. I suspect either OP or installer did that, and it's confusing the crap out of everything.  Should be able to move all the directories and files in /public_html/public_html/ to /public_html/, delete /public_html/public_html/, then run repair_settings.php in /public_html/:o

Or just delete the whole mess and start over with a straight install into /public_html/, as has been suggested at least twice.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Yeah, that configuration is never going to work nicely.

Kill the whole thing and reinstall correctly using the install archive instead of that hostside autoinstaller
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

noland

noland

Ive gotten everytihng fixed with a friends help - and all your help as well.  Thanks so much people!  You rock!

Advertisement: