Unwelcoming noobs

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, September 10, 2015, 05:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Didn't realize what a pia it is to be a new member here. :P  Most everyone agrees that requiring captcha verification for initial posts is useless for stopping bots, so why have it?  It's very difficult to read, especially for an old guy with impaired vision, even when zoomed up and using a magnifier.  And there should be a notification, either in registration or profile, to inform new members that their feature options are restricted until they reach 10 posts.  Would be a courtesy, and let them know there's more to be had.  As it is, not a very good introduction to the forum.

And the post editor has now frozen twice trying to post this.  >:(
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Welcome to SMF. :D

I agree that captcha is about as useful as a ham sandwich at a bar mitzvah. Which editor are you using? The WYSIWYG is a bit notorious for having a mind of its own sometimes. Being old school, I always just use the straight BBC editor myself.

Kindred

Well, because we don't have the support of multi language questions yet... And, as bad as it is in preventing spam, at least it has some effect on the bots.

I apologize for it.., but we are stuck with it for the moment
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Forgot to mention it took 4-5 attempts to receive activation email.  Only the last one arrived.

Quote from: Antechinus on September 10, 2015, 05:28:47 PM
Which editor are you using?

Was in default post reply, not  WYSIWYG.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

That one is usually bulletproof, although if you're using IE Edge that may have broken something and caused a new bug.

Kindred

actually, it is known that MS Edge breaks some things - even in the basic editor. :(
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: