Problem with the upgrade to SMF 2.1

Started by TheSnake, September 14, 2015, 09:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSnake

I'm trying to upgrade and I read that I should use www.upgrade.simplemachines.org. I tried to download these packages for the 2.1 and when I uploaded them to the packages in the forum, it says it's not working (corrupted, or something like this). So, where is the problem?

Kindred

are you ACTUALLY trying to upgrade to 2.1?
If so - why? 2.1 is still in beta....

For a production site, you should be upgrading to 2.0.10

As for upgrading -- that URL is not a valid URL
instructions are here: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheSnake

TheSnake

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted.
The same result...

Kindred

You did not read the upgrade instructions that I linked you to - did you?

I suggest that you read them....

The upgrade between major versions can not be done through the package manager and will require new mods and new themes (mods and themes for 1.1.x will nto work with 2.0.x)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheSnake

I read them 2 days already and I can't get it (I'm not very good at informatics and software). Can someone, please, point me easy steps: 1. Go to this page, 2. Download that file, 3. Upload it to your forum and start? Something like this.
(I don't need the old mods and themes. I will download new ones, just help me to make this jump to 2.0).

Kindred

1 Download The Upgrade Archive
2 Back up Your Forum
    2.1 Back up Your Files
3 Extract The SMF Archive and Upload The Files to Your Website
4 Set File and Directory Permissions
    4.1 Setting File Permissions with the Upgrader
    4.2 Setting File Permissions with FTP
5 Run the Upgrading Tool
    5.1 Upgrade Settings
6 Finishing the Upgrade Process

right from the upgrade wiki.... the headings tell you exactly what step you are doing and what the action is - the text below that tells you information that you might need for that step.
Слaва
Украинi

TheSnake

Quote from: Kindred on September 14, 2015, 12:29:50 PM
1 Download The Upgrade Archive
2 Back up Your Forum
    2.1 Back up Your Files
3 Extract The SMF Archive and Upload The Files to Your Website
4 Set File and Directory Permissions
    4.1 Setting File Permissions with the Upgrader
    4.2 Setting File Permissions with FTP
5 Run the Upgrading Tool
    5.1 Upgrade Settings
6 Finishing the Upgrade Process

right from the upgrade wiki.... the headings tell you exactly what step you are doing and what the action is - the text below that tells you information that you might need for that step.
This is clear, but here is what is not:
1. Where is that SMF archive that works?
2. Where to upload to my website? (I mean which folder in the Cpanel there?)
3. In which place we can set those directory, blah-blah?
4. What is the Upgrader?
5. Can we do it without FTP? (Only through the Cpanel)?

Sir Osis of Liver

- Download Large Upgrade package from here.
- Extract and upload all files to your forum root (i.e., /www.domain.com/forumdirectory/).
- Use the directory where your forum is currently installed.  Don't worry about file permissions unless you get a write error.
- Run upgrade.php with a direct link (i.e.,  /www.domain.com/forumdirectory/upgrade.php).  It's in the upgrade package.
- You can use your cpanel file manager to upload the extracted files.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

TheSnake

AT LAST some understandable for me help! Thanks a lot, Sir Osis!!!

Kindred

you know... that WAS atually all spelled out on the page that I linked?

The latest SMF large upgrade package can be found on the "Download" page of our website.

The SMF upgrade archive contains all of the files that need to be uploaded to the same location where the current forum is located, and overwrite all of the existing files with new files.

The final step in upgrading SMF, is to run the upgrading tool. Navigate with your browser to the upgrade.php file (it can be found in the directory where SMF is located) and run the upgrade, for example: www.yourdomain.com/forum/upgrade.php.

You will need to use either FTP or the tools in in your hosting account's control panel (for more information on the control panel supplied by your hosting service, please see the documentation provided by your hosting service.
Слaва
Украинi

TheSnake

I appreciate your help and activity, too. But it was too complicated for me. When that sir explained it in simple, short way, I got it at once. Not everyone is clever enough in this field, you know -- some of us need simpler explanations. :)

Advertisement: