News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Tapatalk Examples

Started by NeedIt, September 15, 2015, 11:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeedIt

Hey, would it be okay if someone posted an example of an SMF forum or two that is using tapatalk?  I'd like to see exactly what it does, how it looks, how it handles images/banners, etc.

Google has hammered my forum search results I believe for not being "mobile friendly" and so I am hoping this would help. 

Also, I have a very basic install - no theme even.  Is the tapatalk install and maintenance pretty straightforward or is it for more advanced admins would you say?

Kindred

tapatalk is an external app -- it will not help your board with google AT ALL....

personally, I do not recommend it.

If you want to make your site more responsive (and thus avoid google's penalties, then install the Responsive Curve mod - which makes the default/Curve theme somewhat responsive...   or add a responsive theme as your default, if you don't want to use Curve.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NeedIt

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2015, 11:28:38 AM
tapatalk is an external app -- it will not help your board with google AT ALL....

personally, I do not recommend it.

If you want to make your site more responsive (and thus avoid google's penalties, then install the Responsive Curve mod - which makes the default/Curve theme somewhat responsive...   or add a responsive theme as your default, if you don't want to use Curve.

I didn't now you had responsive themes!  Living in a bubble I guess.

Why do you recommend Responsive Curve over one of the other responsive themes out of curiosity?

And any examples out there of forums using it so I could take a look?

Kindred

best bet for themes is to set up a test site of your own and try them out.

If you use the default theme, or one of the curve variations, then you can use the responsive curve mod...

other than that, find a responsive theme that you like... :)

Please do note that - installing a new theme MAY require you to manually apply previously installed mods in that theme's template files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NeedIt

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2015, 01:29:53 PM
best bet for themes is to set up a test site of your own and try them out.

If you use the default theme, or one of the curve variations, then you can use the responsive curve mod...

other than that, find a responsive theme that you like... :)

Why didn't I think of that?

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2015, 01:29:53 PM
Please do note that - installing a new theme MAY require you to manually apply previously installed mods in that theme's template files.

Brrr...   Shiver...

Jade Elizabeth

I use it on my site, it just lets people browse the forum from their phone using an app. It won't help with google but it sure keeps people happy and posting.

http://www.jades-world.com/forums/

You can look at some really nice responsive themes around the web for SMF too. Reseller theme is one of them and this site has lots of others: http://www.smfpacks.com/page/sa=themes
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

NeedIt

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on September 17, 2015, 07:19:55 AM
I use it on my site, it just lets people browse the forum from their phone using an app. It won't help with google but it sure keeps people happy and posting.

http://www.jades-world.com/forums/

You can look at some really nice responsive themes around the web for SMF too. Reseller theme is one of them and this site has lots of others: http://www.smfpacks.com/page/sa=themes

Thx.  Will check it out.

Mr. Jinx

Quote from: Kindred on September 15, 2015, 11:28:38 AM
That is not completely true. Google likes mobiles sites, but it all so does App indexing (which Tapatalk supports).
https://developers.google.com/app-indexing/

Kindred

So, it will have your site indexed in app access... But not standard web search...

Personally, I would never use tapatalk...
Слaва
Украинi

Mr. Jinx

I'm using Tapatalk on my forum because the users really like it.

However, now that tapatalk is asking money for some kind of premium subscription, I'm going to uninstall this add on.
Tapatalk has free access to my forum and now I should pay them?

Jade Elizabeth

Mr. Jinx just because they're offering a premium service doesn't mean you have to switch to it. You can stay on the free version :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

shawnb61

We have a very old & early version of Tapatalk installed.   We have a few users & they've requested that we upgrade.   

Two things make me very nervous about Tapatalk...   
(1) The hooks into authentication that I've read about.  Yes, you can disable it to use the normal SMF authentication.   But I don't want them near that code on my forum at all...   It simply feels too intrusive.   
(2) They buried my site crawling it one day.  A quick Google & turns out this is a relatively common problem.   I blocked them temporarily, rather than opening a ticket with them & hoping they got back to me...   

Most smartphones don't need it.   Why take the risk?

Reference info, from the tapatalk support forum.  My experience was similar:
https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/dos-attack-through-mobiquo.27211/
https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/tapatalk-bot.26316/

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

HDB

I use it and it works well. No errors.

It does drive new member registration.

I do have a responsive theme that allows smartphone use as well via a smartphone browser but I have many members that love using Tapatalk. It allows members to stay engaged from just about anywhere and anytime.

Mr. Jinx

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on October 14, 2015, 10:55:06 PM
Mr. Jinx just because they're offering a premium service doesn't mean you have to switch to it. You can stay on the free version :).
Not an option, because the free version will contain much more Tapatalk branding, like a Tapatalk ad on top of your mobile site and a Tapatalk signature in every post.

Jade Elizabeth

Does it make that much of a difference? It's only seen by those on the ap. They're probably on other sites on said ap as well and see it more than you think.

Advertisement: