Connection Problems 1.1.3

Started by whpford, September 19, 2015, 03:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whpford

I'd appreciate some help with this:  I'm getting the following message on my forum
I've already tried running repair_settings.php using the information godaddy provided and restoring a backup of the settings.php file and neither worked.  Godaddy is sure it is not a problem on their end.  The main index of the website loads, so I'm sure it is an error in SMF.  I have people who are helping with the site and it is possible someone messed up one of the files but I have no way to tell which one.  Doesn't seem to be a hacker thing idk.

QuoteConnection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Is there a simple way to upgrade the database I have backed up from 1.1.3 to 2 and just skip over trying to troubleshoot this particular issue or do I have to fix it first?

Looking

Actually Godaddy is a good reason why it may not be connecting but besides that many people working on a site is a recipe for disaster. Is it sometimes or all the time you get this message?

whpford

It seems to be an all the time problem for the last two days.

Only one person has potentially been working on the site, I just don't know if he did anything.  I know I didn't make any changes...the goal was for me to not have to work on it.  I think after it is fixed i'll just go back to being the person that has to maintain it.

Looking

The only thing I can say is make sure your backup settings matches up with the database settings. If the database is good and you have no mods to worry about maybe fixing the files MIGHT help. You can run tests by using a secondary folder and testing there with clean SMF files.

Kindred

a few things...   

if that mesage remains - then I suggest talking with the HOST support to see if you can figure out what happened
GoDaddy is known for changing settings and paths without informing their users (thus resulting in breaks like this)

Also -- When you get it working again, you need to upgrade your system ASAP. Even on the 1.1.x line, you are 18 revisions behind -- in security releases, but 1.1.x is coming to end of life soon, so it is recommended to upgrade to 2.0.11
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

whpford

Is there a way I can just save the form posts and users from the database info and just update to 2?

i'm trying to install 1.1.3 on a different subfolder to test and get this:

QuoteWarning: require_once(/home/content/l/a/e/laetusatheos/html/tempforum/Sources/Subs-Auth.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/l/a/e/laetusatheos/html/tempforum/Sources/Errors.php on line 418

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/l/a/e/laetusatheos/html/tempforum/Sources/Subs-Auth.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/l/a/e/laetusatheos/html/tempforum/Sources/Errors.php on line 418

when navigating to it to start the install process....i checked and subs-auth-php did get uploaded to the ftp

Kindred

well, in order to properly upgrade, you need to have the correct database connection going... which is why I recommended getting the system working FIRST and then doing the upgrade
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

whpford

I guess I'll try calling them again, i already tried the settings listed in the hosting account...which don't match my last settings backup so that may be pointing towards the problem.

margarett

If you can send me the database dump (eg: zip and password protect it, then PM me a download link) I might be able to update the database for you.
I'm not sure if GD can or will help you with that

(oh and please don't install 1.1.3 :P At least install 1.1.21 - but you need to run the upgrade the same way if you want to get your current content migrated...)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

whpford

Quote from: margarett on September 19, 2015, 05:00:00 PM
If you can send me the database dump (eg: zip and password protect it, then PM me a download link) I might be able to update the database for you.
I'm not sure if GD can or will help you with that

(oh and please don't install 1.1.3 :P At least install 1.1.21 - but you need to run the upgrade the same way if you want to get your current content migrated...)
I would really appreciate that...gd can't do it; they don't offer that level of tech support even for money (i asked).

right now I can't even get it working...godaddy is sure the server info they gave me is correct but still same issue.

Advertisement: