News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Invalid link crashes Chrome-based browsers instantly

Started by Ninja ZX-10RR, September 20, 2015, 08:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=14115.0

However, it can be placed anywhere - in sigs etc. It should be addressed as quickly as possible because if some malicious users start to spam it, then they can lead any other user with Chrome-based browsers to instantly crash while browsing the forum.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

How is this, in any way, an smf issue?

Does this only happens on smf sites?

If not, then it would seem to be a chrome issue that needs to be fixed by them and it not something that would be handled on the script side of things...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JBlaze

Quote from: Kindred on September 20, 2015, 08:10:40 PM
How is this, in any way, an smf issue?

Technically, it is, since it's something that can prevented through proper sanitization of input (especially URLs). But it's trivial since this only affects Chrome/Opera, and will be fixed soon.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Kindred

Well, I would argue differently, since this not a string that should need to get sanitized.  That story of sanitation is for database script script input..,  if a browser is breaking on a specific string, that is a browser issue...

Which, as you point out, is (correctly) going to be fixed by the browser devs.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yep, like I said in the topic on SimplePortal, it's not an smf issue directly, but it's strictly related and should be addressed on this side - good luck waiting for Google, although I did send a feedback about that. Perhaps if you have Chrome and send them a feedback about it as well they will start to notice it...
Besides you have been fixing stuff for specific browsers, you already did in the past, for example the spans in the theme to achieve rounded borders effect on older versions of IE, to mention one of the instances.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Joshua Dickerson

It is certainly an issue that should be addressed in SMF. You can sanitize the images that are stored locally and the links.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Kindred

I happen to disagree...   However, it's not an issue for long, since the chrome devs are in the process of releasing a fix,
Слaва
Украинi

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Kindred on September 20, 2015, 11:03:42 PM
chrome devs are in the process of releasing a fix,
May I ask how do you know this? Also, even if that was true, not everyone updates his browser regularly. You didn't stop supporting old IE when 2.0 was released, want to change the way it has always been and flatout ignore an issue with one of the most popular browsers around? (Do note, Opera has the same issue, and it's Chrome-based, which makes me think any Chrome-based browser will behave like that).

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

This is a completely different situation to continuing support of old browsers

This is obviously an actual BUG in the browser... Not just outdated design

It is a bug that the browser folks are working on resolving quickly, based on the conversations on their dev sites...
And, quite honestly, if people do not update their browser to get a fix for a major bug like this, then how is that the responsibility of the script providers to cater to their laziness?  Our script still continues to work just fine in those browsers....   It is a fourth party cation that causes the crash...
( then again, to turn your argument back on itself... Not everyone updates their smf regularly... )
Слaва
Украинi

Ninja ZX-10RR

I'll just provide a link to it: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=533361

Quote from: Kindred on September 21, 2015, 12:41:05 AM
Not everyone updates their smf regularly... )
True, you can't patch people's stupidity, but you could always give it a try :P

Back to serious. It should be fixed just because proper sanitization of the URL on SMF side will:
1) Prevent future instances of this thing, with other browsers.
2) Prevent users with outdated browsers to experience it (and users doesn't mean smf admins).

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Antes

Unless stated otherwise by those browser devs, this should be fixed by browser devs. Because its not unfix able by them nor it effects every single browser in the market.

margarett

LOLz @ https://github.com/szhu/3030
;D

IMO this is nothing we should worry about. This will be fixed by Chrome as it is a Chrome bug, read the (interesting) link Ninja provided for explanations.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

LiroyvH

Quote from: margarett on September 21, 2015, 04:59:38 AM
LOLz @ https://github.com/szhu/3030
;D

That's gold :P

Let the chrome devs fix it. They're already working on it anyway, patch can likely be expected today.
That fixes the issue for all chrome users (barring forks that don't update, perhaps) on any site, will role out faster, etc.
Incidentally, this issue also affects Android WebView.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: