Try to update -> FTP error 530: login incorrect

Started by Takeshi, September 24, 2015, 08:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takeshi

I was using SMF 2.0.8 and tried to update the forum to 2.0.11 (it's late, I know). At administration panel it shows me to update to 2.0.9. After clicking there the package was downloaded and I have to enter the FTP login. But when I tested the connection always I got error 530. If I choose "Install", it shows me "all fine, you have installed 2.0.9 and can use it", but the board shows still "2.0.8. I thought there is an error in SMF, so I installed the 2.0.9 manually and now there is 2.0.9, but I have the same problem while updating to 2.0.10.

I am using SMF for about 10 years and until the last year this worked fine. The login is correct, I entered the password with poy/paste from a text editor into the line and a FTP programm. I also tried it with another browser. I don't want to change permissions of all files with CHMOD or update everytime manually and as I said, until 2.0.8 it worked. So does anybody know what's wrong?

margarett

Does your host support FTP or just SFTP? Can you check the permissions to see if they are really too low? Also, is the file ownership correct?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Takeshi

The host supports FTP, yes.

I thought the owner couldn't be the reasen, because I get "login incorrect" and not "permission denied". The owner is another, but with the FTP login (which I use with the forum) I'm able to change permissions with CHMOD.
However I downloaded and uploaded all files to change the owner. Now it works (without login), but I think it's beacause of the changed permissions of all files due to re-upload. I missed to change the permissions and test the login, so for the moment I leave it at that. If it will not work in future, I'll ask again.

Thanks for help!

Advertisement: