Upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0.11

Started by Believerds, September 24, 2015, 08:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Believerds

Hello Folks,

I am quite new to the ADMIN of my forum and will need some help with upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0.11.

The version I am currently using is: SMF 1.1.21

I may be asking a lot, but could someone please assist me in a step by step procedure with this upgrade?

Thank you,

Dave

Antes

Believerds

Thanks for the response Antes, but I'm not sure what to do with this. I was just hoping to get a step by step process.

Antes

Its actually step by step, just read the page if any question left in your mind ask us here :)

Believerds

I have attached a few steps that I think are appropriate. Let me know if this is correct.

Illori

you cant use the package manager to upgrade from one major version to another, you have to manually override all the files and run the upgrade.php script as that link posted above tells you.

Believerds

Well, I appreciate the help and direction, but I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough to take this on without the concern of damaging the existing forum. I'm sure you're confident with your skills on this task, but I will need more detailed support. Thanks!

Illori

have you really read the link provided? it tells you step by step what you have to do... if you dont put in a little bit of effort to read what is provided there is not a whole lot we can do to help you.

Kindred

1 Download The Upgrade Archive
    2 Back up Your Forum
        2.1 Back up Your Files
    3 Extract The SMF Archive and Upload The Files to Your Website
    4 Set File and Directory Permissions
        4.1 Setting File Permissions with the Upgrader
        4.2 Setting File Permissions with FTP
    5 Run the Upgrading Tool
        5.1 Upgrade Settings
    6 Finishing the Upgrade Process
    7 Useful FAQ

this is the step-by-step...  the actual page contents describe each of the steps in more detail
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Believerds

I did read it and your post as well, but as I said before, my skills are limited and I would need a more understandable (on my part) detailed walkthrough.

Thank you though!

Kindred

Ok -- well, help us improve our instructions then, please...

What is it, in the instructions, that seems unclear or needs to be made understandable or more detailed? :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Believerds

Ok Kindred,

One observation is this:  you having "SMF Master" under your name and me having "Noobie" under my name which should give you some indication of a difference between your knowledge and mine. I'm completely new to this and was hoping to get help improving our forum. The things that are unclear has to do with Extracting the SMF archive and uploading the files to my website. I do have a backup file (ZIP) but I'm not sure what to do with it afterwards. Setting permissions and the upgrade tool is not clear either. I suppose when I used the word "walkthrough" that might have been a clear realization that I am lost and need detailed help. If this is too much to ask, my apologies!

Thanks,

Dave

Sir Osis of Liver

Have you backed up your forum files and database?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

br360

Let's start with the first step. Did you download the Large upgrade zip from this downloads link to your computer yet? http://download.simplemachines.org/

As a new admin to your forum, do you have access to the login details for your host so you can do a backup of your forum and files?

Believerds

I don't have  access to the host. However, I did download a backup Zip file by using the Forum Maintenance tab. Photo below:

Believerds

I did download the Large Upgrade file.

br360

That backup database option in the forum's admin panel is not reliable and should really not be used. The only way to do a real, thorough backup is by logging in to the control panel your host supplied and doing it through that.

Unfortunately though; without having the login info to your host, or at the very least; the correct info to be able to upload through an FTP client, there wouldn't really be any way to do the upgrade.

Where is the person who does have that info? Is that another admin on your forum?

Kindred

me having SMF master and you having newbie should not matter for documentation. Documentation is for the folks who need it... and if it is not sufficient, we should know about it and address the issue. :)

Backups -- there is a secondary link in the upgrade wiki article which is specifically about backing up...   you should not have to do anything with it, afterwards... unless everything goes to hell, in which case, you can restore the backup to get your site back.

You *WILL* need access to the host - either by file manager/cpanel or FTP. There is no other way to upgrade the site.
Слaва
Украинi

Believerds

OK, Folks,

I was given access to my host today and am ready to move on the backup. We are using FatCow and I'll need to figure out how to complete a backup before I go further.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: