News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Help!!. Not able to upgrade from 1.1.8 to 2.0.11

Started by zen2nad, September 25, 2015, 03:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zen2nad

Dear forum supporters,

facing an issue while upgrading the SMF forum from 1.1.8 to 2.0.11. Downloaded both zip / tar.gz files of "large upgrade" from the http://download.simplemachines.org/ URL today (9/25/2015). But the upgrade file "upgrade.php"  file contains syntax issue of having comma "," connectors instead of dot "."

Refer the screenshot image smf-issue.jpg. Due to this, not able to upgrade the application as it throws "Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility  upgrade.php on line 3476".. etc.

Can any one guide how to resolve this issue?

Best regards,
Sarah Lin

Illori

please keep to one topic for your issue, i have deleted your other post as it is not the same issue as the other user.

Kindred

the use of a comma is correct in those examples...   it would also be correct to use the "dot", but it is not required.
(also, the upgrade was tested on several systems before release -- which does not preclude a possible mistake, but does mean that the things that you pointed out are not the issue)

therefore, it would seem that your issue has to do with something else...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't have the file, have to toddle off to RW now, but upgrade_upgrade_utility looks like an error.

- R. Waters

Kindred

whether that is an error or not is not actually relevant to the failure...

<title>', $txt['upgrade_upgrade_utility'], '</title>

and

<h1 class="forumtitle">', $txt['upgrade_upgrade_utility'], '</h1>

it's just a text string...   it might generate an undefined variable message, but it won't cause the upgrade to fail...

neither will the commas, in place of dots.   commas are valid separators between text and string code in an echo statememnt

so -- while the user may be having some issues with the upgrade -- nothing that he has pointed to so far would cause a failure.

found it...
and it is correct
install.english.php line 209

$txt['upgrade_upgrade_utility'] = 'SMF Upgrade Utility';

so nope.... there is nothing here to cause a failure at all.

Zen2nad...   you will need to provide the **ACTUAL** error and do not assume that any code is incorrect.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Just upgraded 1.1.21 test install to 2.0.11 with current Large Upgrade package (.zip), worked fine.  Nothing wrong with the code.

- R. Waters

zen2nad

Guys,

thank you for sharing inputs.

Again downloaded the smf_2-0-11_upgrade.zip from the download website. But still the upgrade.php file contains the PHP connectors as comma instead of dot "."?Why?

the activities that i done is very simple.

1) backup the existing smf development V1.1.8  including the database.
2) downloaded the smf large upgrade zip from the download website.
3) extracted the files and moved them to the working directly.
4) executed the upgrade.php file from the browser!!.. Thats all.

did i missed anything in this above steps?

@ Sir Osis of Liver - Yes you are right. That was the core issue. While running the upgrade.php file via web browser, the system throws warning messages for "Undefined index" in many places due to the syntax issue.

Check the screenshot that i have attached.

Regards,
Sarah Lin

margarett

Quote from: zen2nad on September 29, 2015, 03:27:57 AM
But still the upgrade.php file contains the PHP connectors as comma instead of dot "."?Why?
Again
Quote from: Kindred on September 25, 2015, 02:13:20 PM
commas are valid separators between text and string code in an echo statememnt
;)

Further explanation:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1466408/difference-between-and-in-php
So this is clearly not the issue ;)

I've seen this happening some other times and it was always caused (where I ended up fixing the error) by messed paths/IDs in the default theme. The topic that Sir Osis of Liver linked also points to this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=538721.msg3828374#msg3828374
Can you try that and let us know?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

zen2nad

@margarett - Finally it works. Now i am done with the upgrade!!.. thank you very much to all who are all helping me to understand the base problem and rectify it.

Regards,
Sarah Lin

margarett

Great! :)

Don't forget to run repair_settings after the upgrade is complete in order to fix eventually wrong themes paths. That code hack only fixes the paths on the upgrade running, if anything was wrong in the database it will remain wrong. If everything is fine already, even better ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: