News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Some attachments/thumbnails don't appear after upgrade

Started by Novice, September 30, 2015, 07:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novice

Upgraded from 1.1.21 to 2.0.10 and Some of the attachments appear and some of the thumbnails but not all. Some posts have say 5 attachments and only one thumb appears. Database table shows the thumb and attachments being present and the paths to them are correct. Any ideas?

Novice

Is their possibly a way to trick the database into thinking that these attachments have just been added? I can go to each post and save the picture to a file, delete the attachment, then reattach it and then the thumbnails will appear. The database table smf_attachments has the "attachment" and a corresponding file named the same except for having "_thumb" already there. I just can't figure out why it isn't reading them. I wouldn't ask but I have about 5300 total attachments and 3400 are nor cooperating. That's a lot of "one at a time" post fixes.

Novice

Thanks for all of you help! I found the issue and in case someone else who is not a programmer or a database wiz encounters the same issue try what I did and see if it works for you:

1.)From the Admin menu choose "Forum Attachment Settings"
2.)On this list check the box that says, "Recode line endings in textual attachments "
3.)Then go back to the menu above and select "File Maintenance" and run an integrity check.

When I began we had over 5800 attachments and 4300+ had no valid reference to the thumbnails. After doing this I had (1) needing resized and (1) with no file reference.

This is definitely a lot easier than reattaching each file.

Yours truly,
Novice...

Novice

The previous fix doesn't seen to work for me in 2.0.14. I uploaded almost 12000 attachments to the attachment folder. The utility says in either case only 5500 with 2500 invalid references. Is there any utility like the one to "repair_settings" or "fix packages" that can magically make the thumbnails and some attachments re-appear?

Once again, thank all of who respond in advance.

Novice...

Looking

Wow, so many messages, this should have been your start: This may be of help to you: repair settings. Understanding where it goes and what it does: What is repair_settings.php?

Hard to say what happened with your upgrade. Once done properly you should not need to mess with attachments.

Novice

Sorry the post appears a little out of sorts. I started with this issue the first time I had it 2 years ago. But, we just had an issue from upgrading from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 a couple of weeks ago. Something went horribly wrong and I got frustrated and did a clean install. Now everything runs and works great except for the thumbnails in the posts show a little black box with a an X in the center. The attachment is still there but the it's like the post can't find the file or the path to the thumbnail. All the DB path settings are correct it just seems like it can't read them. I looked in the database it says in the attachments file their are 10,600 of them. The forum can only see 5500. Any ideas on what to do that would be a lot easier and quicker than re uploading each one?

Looking

Advertisement: