News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Post number has reset?

Started by Jingaling, October 02, 2015, 09:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingaling

Hi guys,

I've been looking around my forum today, and I've notice that the "Post Number" has been reset for my account (the admin account). It doesn't seem to have reset for any other user. My current post count is currently 5, whereas before it was a few hundred. Any idea what's happened and how I can get it back? I've tried going into PHPMyAdmin and adding the posts back into the "posts" field within the _members table. Although that works, it doesn't change my membergroup back to what it was. I'm still listed as a "Newbie".

I've checked around the forum, and all of my posts are still there. The only thing that I have done, is remove the SMFHacks Gallery plugin.

Thanks,

Kev

Jingaling

I've managed to fix this by also updating the id_post_group within the same table. However, I want to make sure it will still update all the membergroups as people post more stuff. If there a simple way that I can test this?

Thanks,

Kev

Kindred

First of all - you should never edit the member record directly in the database   there are all sorts of calculations performed when yoi change a member record.
The standard profile interface has the option to adjust a user's post count manually - which then performs the correct calculations and membergroup assignments.

However, now that you have done it -- run "recount forum stats" in the admin maintenance section.

I am not sure why your post count got marked down...   THAT is a bigger problem since, if you don't know why or how, it might happen again

(please stop editing the database directly --  you are making issues worse when you do that)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jingaling

Thanks Kindred,

Duly noted. I won't do it again.

I've ran the "re-calculation" maintenance and the numbers seem to be correct. Is there anything I can check that might give me a clue as to why the numbers reset? Like I said, from what I can see, mine was the only account this seemed to happen to.

Thanks

Kev

margarett

Your post count group is only updated when you interact with it through SMF (post, delete, etc). That's why you were still a newbie, you edited the post count in the database ;)

You should install this https://github.com/Spuds/SMF-Admin-Toolbox which, amongst other things, allows you to properly recount users totals
@Kindred, the maintenance task doesn't really recount users posts ;) (not sure about the post count memberships, though)

About the "why": I would suggest an unfortunate human error...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

I know that the maintenance task doesn't re-count the user's posts... but it should re-count the membergroup based on the posts (yes? no? maybe so?)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jingaling

@Margarette my post were previously legitimate. They were calculated by me actually posting on the forum. That's what confused me. It was only when they somehow reset themselves, that I edited the DB.

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on October 02, 2015, 09:53:50 AM
I know that the maintenance task doesn't re-count the user's posts... but it should re-count the membergroup based on the posts (yes? no? maybe so?)

i think that was changed in 2.1, but it does not in 2.0.

Jingaling

I've installed the admin toolbox and run the maintenance task to calculate users posts. I've just added and deleted a test post, and my total incremented and reduced by 1. So it seems to be working. Thanks for all the help guys.

Note to self...wait for a response BEFORE cocking around in the DB!  :-X

Jingaling

I spoke to soon. I noticed that it managed to reset itself again. So I ran some further checks and worked out what the issue was - it's LastPass!

I used LastPass to manage all of my passwords, and it obviously stores my Forum password. However, it had also automatically stored a load of extra profile information like my amount of posts etc. So any time I edited my profile, LastPass very "helpfully" populated those fields and reset them all for me.

So this isn't an issue with SMF, or my site. It's bloody LastPass. Right then, off to their forums to work out how to stop this silly behavior. :o

margarett

Thank you for letting us know ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: