Plugins stop working

Started by Mynamehere, October 03, 2015, 05:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mynamehere

So I have an SMF install, with a couple of plugins (ads, spoiler, awards and stuff). It all works fine and dandy.

And then it stopped working, without any change from my side.
Anyone have any clue WHY?

Shambles

You're being a little vague.

Define "it stopped working".

Illori

also a list of which exact mods are not working may help.

any errors in your error log related to this?

Mynamehere

Quote from: Shambles on October 03, 2015, 05:39:27 AM
You're being a little vague.

Define "it stopped working".

They worked. Now they don't.

I used to have awards shown in the signature and next to the avatar. Now they don't.
I used to have a spoiler tag. Now I don't.
There used to be ads on the site, now there aren't.

How is this vague...?

*confused*

Spoiler BBCode
Member Awards
SimpleAds
Referrals System
Super Simple Thread Tags

Are the addons

Shambles

It's vague because you said "And then it stopped working" suggesting your installation stopped working.

Now you're hinting that your forum is ok but the mods aren't working ("They worked. Now they don't")

So is your forum ok?

Also,
Quote from: Illori on October 03, 2015, 06:15:00 AM
any errors in your error log related to this?

Mynamehere

Ah, I see... guess the language barrier got in the way there.

The forum itself (the core installation) is doing quite ok (except when I uninstall the Simple Ads, then the template gets wrecked). It is the plugins which aren't working (none of them).

Illori

are you sure your host did not do something to your install? do you have any other people with access to your files?

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Illori on October 03, 2015, 04:08:57 PM
are you sure your host did not do something to your install?

This ^.  If you used a host installer to set up the forum, it may be auto-updating, which will affect your mods.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Mynamehere

Quote from: Illori on October 03, 2015, 04:08:57 PM
are you sure your host did not do something to your install? do you have any other people with access to your files?

They deny in every possible tone.

To answer the other question: it is running on Installatron.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you use a host installer to install the forum?
Are the non-working mods shown as installed in Package Manager?
Have you tried reinstalling them?

- R. Waters

Mynamehere

I have used Installatron
Plugins are shown as installed
I tried reinstalling them, but one uninstall destroyed the whole forum (template thing).

I am thinking of just ditching the Installatron and do a "regular" install, but I've tried this before and I just can't seem to get the DB safely "transplanted"

Kindred

yeah....  your problems is definitely the use of the "autoinstaller"

Apparently, it auto-upgraded you, using the full upgrade archive -- which overwrote all of your files and thus removed all of your mods.

Here's what you do...

Back up your database

Kill the installatron installation

install the normal installation archive from our site

then DROP all tables in the new install database

and restore your database into the new install database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

You may have to disable auto-updating in installtron even if you delete the damaged install and reinstall from full install package in same directory.  Installtron may not know it's a clean install and might continue to autoupdate.

- R. Waters

Mynamehere

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 05, 2015, 10:26:36 PM
You may have to disable auto-updating in installtron even if you delete the damaged install and reinstall from full install package in same directory.  Installtron may not know it's a clean install and might continue to autoupdate.

I think I will just dump the new install in another folder....

while the instructions may sound simple to you:
yeah....  your problems is definitely the use of the "autoinstaller"

Apparently, it auto-upgraded you, using the full upgrade archive -- which overwrote all of your files and thus removed all of your mods.

Here's what you do...

Back up your database

Kill the installatron installation

install the normal installation archive from our site

then DROP all tables in the new install database

and restore your database into the new install database

TO me, this is mysterious language.

Can I not "just" run an install, and then replace the config file or something, having it pointing to the existing DB?

Also: wouldn't I run into the same problems if I manually move to an upgrade?

Sir Osis of Liver

You have to do a clean install from the Large Upgrade package.  Download, unzip, upload to new directory.  Copy Settings.php and Settings_bak.php from your existing forum to the new install, then run repair_settings.php to fix paths.  You don't need to run upgrade.php.  The host installer will not screw up the new install if it's in a different directory, it won't know it's there.

- R. Waters

Mynamehere

Doesn't my DB disappear when I uninstall through Installatron?

I am scared ******less, as I already lost the DB a few times....

(if someone would like to volunteer.... *angel eyes* )

Sir Osis of Liver

I would not use installtron to install or uninstall a forum.  If you can do a clean install in a different directory, copying Settings.php and Settings_bak.php will link it to the existing database, then you just have to fix the paths.  Once it's up and running, you can delete the original forum files.  The database is in a different place, and won't be affected.  You must backup the database before doing anything else.  Clear all forum logs first, then use your cpanel db backup (if you have that feature), or export the db with phpmyadmin.  Whichever method you use, make 2-3 backups, and confirm that the file sizes are the same, or you could end up with a partial or corrupt backup.

- R. Waters

Mynamehere

Ah, I see... so, during this installation process, following the manual, I need to create another DB. Is that one just going to be lingering around forever?

Sir Osis of Liver

If you use the large upgrade package, it does not contain a Settings.php, you're just uploading the forum files without creating a new db.   When you copy Settings.php from your existing install, it links the new forum to the existing db, then you have to run repair_settings.php to reset paths to the new directory.  If you currently have nothing in the db you need to save, it would probably be better to create a new db and use the full install package, then delete the old forum directory and drop the old db.   That would get rid of everything that installtron did.

- R. Waters

Mynamehere

Ah, ok...

Is there a manual to installing the large upgrade pack? Or is it just a matter of unzipping and uploading?

Advertisement: