News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Installing mods is breaking my entire website 2 out of 3 times and I know why...

Started by gemusli, October 03, 2015, 02:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemusli

Installing mods is breaking my entire website 2 out of 3 times and I know why but I don't know how to fix the problem and so now I am afraid to install any further mods.  I am posting here because the error is occurring across multiple mod installs so the error may be in the core code.

I'm a programmer and my account here is 6 years old - I say that so you will understand I know what I am talking about.

I am on Unix/Apache running SMF in a subdirectory off the main  domain (hxxp:www.ineedwanthave.com/hiddenforum/). [nonactive]

I installed at 2.0.7, upgraded to 2.08, upgraded to 2.0.9, tweaked your code so the upgrade to 2.0.10 would work (had to remove the word "index" from /themes/default/languages/index.english.php from line two, which is in a comment (also, the package "SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update" does not have the word "[ Uninstall ]" next to it now like the other package updates do but whatever)), then I upgraded to 2..0.11 which is where I am now.

I tried installing the mod "Stop Forum Spam" and did not have a problem this was around version 2.0.8 which was check marked to run as 2.0.7 for compatibility purposes at the point I upgraded to 2.0.9 I think but anyway...

After the upgrades I tried installing the mods "Bad Behavior" and "Say Thanks" and both attempts resulted in my entire website giving a 500 Internal Error, even the root of the domain where SMF is not installed got the 500 internal error.

The error being produced, from the log files, is: " [Sat Oct 03 12:08:16 2015] [error] [client 192.185.1.20] SoftException in application.cpp:668: Directory "/home/ineedwanthave" is writeable by group 12:19:58 PM " and I believe this is what happened both times.

I am on a shared server so I do not have access to /home from ftp or cpanel and currently don't have ssh to the server but still probably would not have access to /home because it is a shared server.

Why are my upper home directory (my account directory, the one that houses the public_html directory (specifically in this case /home/ineedwanthave/) permissions being changed at all?

Do you know where in the code the permissions are changed? Is it in the core code?  If so, where?  This is so I can extract the code and make a fix script  to change the permissions back and fix my website when my website gets dorked again.

Should I post this also on the "Bad Behavior" and "Say Thanks" mod support threads or report this as a bug?

Thanks,

Phillip

Kindred

there's a good chance that the issue happens because your SMF is trying to force 777 on files before/after it installs the mod. This will cause a server error on some shared servers.

check your settings on
index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=perms

Apply individual file permissions settings selected above.
and then... If "Custom" has been selected use chmod value of  -- set to 644, 664 or maybe 666 (depending on what your server needs)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gemusli

It keeps giving me:

An Error Has Occurred!
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

Which I did and then got that again.

Kindred

oof...    it's gotten into a bad state.

Delete your cookies and/or try accessing the site from a different browser or different computer.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gemusli

Same error on Chrome and Internet Explorer (Firefox is my main squeeze so already tested there and failed too).

You want to take a look?  The site and forum are brand new and I can set a temp password for you if you feel like and can help.

This is depressing me, think I'll go hit some Guitar Hero for a bit.  I appreciate your help by the way.

Advertisement: