News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Coppermine 1.3.58 bridging partially working

Started by jonesH, October 05, 2015, 01:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesH

My tiny, practice SMF 21b2 forum is working fine enough that I tried bridging Coppermine Gallery 1.5.38 to it.

So far it's such that if I try to log into CMG, I am redirected to the SMf login page where I can log in successfully with my SMF credentials. If I understand bridging properly, this is how it should be, single login for both. Once inside the forum, though, I do not see the "Gallery" menu, as expected, where I can go and dabble with the CMG settings.

Is the needed fix (or the next step) from the SMF side, or is it from the gallery side? I am stuck here.

I used to have this combo running nicely back many years ago but lost my notes (which may be mostly useless by now anyway).

Can anyone nudge me forward? Thanks.

Note added: CMG docs tell me I need to add a link from within SMF to take me to the gallery. Is this the missing piece then?

lurkalot

Coppermine 1.3.58?  You mean 1.5.38 surely.  ;)

How did you bridge it?

Kindred

given that 2.1 is still in beta and has different structures from 2.0 -- it is unlikely that the current coppermine bridge which works with 2.0 would continue to work with 2.1

it would need to be modified for the new structure...   and the bridge makers are unlikely to do that until the 2.1 release is out of beta....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: Kindred on October 05, 2015, 02:57:09 PM
given that 2.1 is still in beta and has different structures from 2.0 -- it is unlikely that the current coppermine bridge which works with 2.0 would continue to work with 2.1

It doesn't which is why I was curious and asked  "How did you bridge it?" ;)

jonesH

Firstly, this *is* indeed the proper board for my topic.
Secondly, yes, I ment 1.5.38 :)

Now, in the meantime, I tried the same integration with SMF 2.0.11 and got the same result (login OK, no "Gallery" menu). In each case, I did it through Coppermine's Bridge Manager; I needed to set the relative path (in my case ../) and chose to use the groups (so option 1). Was not asked about the cookies, but in SMF I set to not use database for sessions.

If it matters, SMF has two registered users (admin and one more) while CMG has only admin - in all instances obviously just my accounts for setup purposes. The Gallery has no pictures and so far most settings are pretty much installation defaults.

Since now I am stuck at the same point with both versions of SMF, I don't mind rethinking the question in terms of 2.0.11.

Thanks you for your help thus far.

Illori

Quote from: jonesH on October 05, 2015, 03:16:02 PM
in SMF I set to not use database for sessions.
that may cause more problems for you then using database driven sessions.

jonesH

OK, dhe database drives the sessions again.

Another detail that may or not make a diff, I force SSL throughout the forum.

Also, is it possible to correct the topic title?

Kindred

Well, actually - you would be better off asking on the coppermine support site -- since they are the ones who wrote and support the bridge...   and they are the ones who would know the specific settings within the bridge.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jonesH

OK, will do that. Hopefully get things to work and update this thread here with that. Thanks to all for help.

lurkalot

Also turn off "local storage of cookies"

Once bridged log out of both Coppermine and SMF then clear your browser cache. Then make sure when you log into SMF that you're also logged into Coppermine.  Then log out again to make sure they are both logged out.

In Coppermine after you have logged in, visit Users > Groups to sync your groups with those of SMF.

Just to point out, bridging won't add a link to your gallery from SMF, you'll have to add it yourself.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Buttons_-_How_do_I_add_buttons_to_SMF_2.0

Likewise you'll need to add a link back to your forum, you can do this in the Coppermine config > theme settings and if you have a home page you can set this in Config > General settings.

jonesH

Only problem is, once bridged, I can't log into CMG proper (I am being redirected to SMF login). I tried forcing the login through bridgemgr but that disables the bridge. So as it is, I don't see a way to be logged into smf and cmg simultaneously, while bridged, each with their own admin accounts.

If I log into the unbridged cmg and go to users>groups, there is no option to synch (then again, synch to what, if not bridged, right?)

Kindred

absolutely correct.  As I recall -- once bridged, coppermine uses the SMF login.
Turn on subdomain independent cookies.
Слaва
Украинi

lurkalot

Quote from: jonesH on October 05, 2015, 04:50:05 PM
Only problem is, once bridged, I can't log into CMG proper (I am being redirected to SMF login). I tried forcing the login through bridgemgr but that disables the bridge. So as it is, I don't see a way to be logged into smf and cmg simultaneously, while bridged, each with their own admin accounts.

If I log into the unbridged cmg and go to users>groups, there is no option to synch (then again, synch to what, if not bridged, right?)

And if you login to SMF are you also logged in if you visit your gallery?

And when you do get the bridge working,, there's no actual option to sync in the groups panel, it syncs when you visit that page automatically.  If you make any changes to the groups in SMF you'll need to visit the Coppermine groups again to resync. ;)

jonesH

OK. So I added a menu in smf that [points to the galley, and it works! Clicking on it takes me to the gallery page, where I see the user groups are synched. So that's resolved, too.

Next step is to add a "back-to-forum" button to the gallery menu, so the user can go back to the forum. As it is right now, logging out from the gallery throws an error and seems to unlog me from the gallery - but does not kick me out of the forum.

Will post again when the next steps are done.

jonesH

Among the settings in Coppermine there is a quick and easy way to add a menu item, which I purposed to return the user to the forum.

So basically at this point I got a working forum (2.0.11), gallery (1.5.38) and bridge. Next I will use this knowledge to try the same with forum ver 2.1b2.

For the purposes of my initial question, I consider this resolved.

Thanks to all, again.

lurkalot

I won't work with 2.1 beta 2.  You can ask over at our support site http://coppermine-gallery.net/ But I'll tell you the same there too. ;)

Quote from: jonesH on October 06, 2015, 04:56:49 PM
Among the settings in Coppermine there is a quick and easy way to add a menu item, which I purposed to return the user to the forum.

So basically at this point I got a working forum (2.0.11), gallery (1.5.38) and bridge. Next I will use this knowledge to try the same with forum ver 2.1b2.

For the purposes of my initial question, I consider this resolved.

Thanks to all, again.

Think you'll find I mentioned this already. ;)   Anyway glad you got it sorted.

Quote from: lurkalot on October 05, 2015, 03:51:21 PM

Likewise you'll need to add a link back to your forum, you can do this in the Coppermine config > theme settings and if you have a home page you can set this in Config > General settings.

jonesH

Indeed, lurkalot, it was on your cue that I went looking for the setting in the gallery config.

As for trying it with 2.1b2, I guess I'll wait a little and get the most out of the installed stuff instead.

Advertisement: