View Own Topic permission

Started by debiwebi, October 06, 2015, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debiwebi

I could really use something like this for my forum, there are instances where it's necessary for topics to be limited to one or two members and as far as I can tell there's currently no way to do this. We don't want to have to rely on emails or pms, we want our messages to be editable and cataloged and there's nothing like a forum for that purpose.

The View Own Topic mod here is not compatible beyond 1.1.4. The Private Topic mod that Miss All Sunday made is not functional and not being further developed.

Simple Desk was recommended in another topic here, but from what I can tell it would be instead (?) of my SMF site (not sure if I have that correct).

Any takers on updating the mods? Or is there an alternative?
If I was a coder I'd take on the job myself, but unfortunately I am not.
Some mornings it just isn't worth
chewing through the leather straps.
~Emo

Unlimited Own Posts Editing Time

Illori

simple desk is a mod for SMF, it does not replace your forum in anyway.

debiwebi

Thank you, I'll take a closer look at it. But it looks like it's a lot more involved than what I actually need. Is there an alternative?
~Emo

Illori

debiwebi

Darn.  :(  I hope someone is willing to revive one of the mods, it seems there are others interested.
~Emo

margarett

Why isn't MissAllSunday's MOD working?
(honest question, don't remember seeing something stating otherwise)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

debiwebi

Quote from: margarett on October 06, 2015, 01:26:15 PM
Why isn't MissAllSunday's MOD working?
(honest question, don't remember seeing something stating otherwise)

I had been following a thread on her forum. She had some errors in the mod and has no interest in fixing them and getting the mod working. I'd supply you with the link, but I'm having trouble getting her forum Search to work. I'll update this post when I find it.

BTW, I made my first post in this topic less than 2 hours ago and it seems the Modify button is now missing. What's SMF's self-edit time on posts? Just curious, I don't remember a time limit in "the good old days."

Try this: http://missallsunday.com/index.php?topic=285.45, page 3 is most informative.

~Emo

Illori

Quote from: debiwebi on October 06, 2015, 02:14:54 PM
BTW, I made my first post in this topic less than 2 hours ago and it seems the Modify button is now missing. What's SMF's self-edit time on posts? Just curious, I don't remember a time limit in "the good old days."

1 hour

debiwebi

Quote from: Illori on October 06, 2015, 02:17:01 PM
Quote from: debiwebi on October 06, 2015, 02:14:54 PM
1 hour

Yikes, glad I squeezed in an edit. That's pretty short! Thanks...

~Emo

margarett

Apart from that user vs. users issue I didn't find any major problem... It should be doable to have it running, assuming no other major issues arise...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

debiwebi

Quote from: margarett on October 06, 2015, 03:17:13 PM
Apart from that user vs. users issue I didn't find any major problem... It should be doable to have it running, assuming no other major issues arise...

Well... okay, I have a test site I can try it on. I'll get back to you to let you know what happens.
It may not be today (like I'm sure you're holding your breath, lol), but I will update. Thanks!

~Emo

debiwebi

Quote from: margarett on October 06, 2015, 03:17:13 PM

Holy cow do I have a problem!
Last night I tried to install the mod into a test forum in a subdirectory on my server. I ran into one error message after another, got stuck, so backed up a few pages and deleted the mod.

Now I'm having trouble with a DIFFERENT forum in a DIFFERENT subdirectory on the same server. It's my "real" forum, so a big problem for me.

I can't get a preview or save a post, I get the error message :

Fatal error: Class 'PrivateTopics' not found in .../Sources/Load.php(2185) : eval()'d code on line 208

I deleted ALL of the files out of the test directory, and have been replacing some files (such as the entire Sources folder) in my messed up forum, but I'm still getting the same error message.

Do you suppose it's something to do with the database too?

What can I do to get my forum running again?

UPDATE: After searching through the site, I discovered several files in the default theme had been modified by the mod, even though the mod was never successfully installed. Those have been replaced with the backups. So my site is working again, but I still can't figure out why attempting to install this mod in a test directory would affect my forum in a completely different directory.
~Emo

Kindred

well -- if you set up your test directory/forum and forgot to CHANGE the directories, then -- when you installed the mod, you actually installed it into your LIVE site...

Your only option may be to restore a backup
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

debiwebi

Quote from: Kindred on October 15, 2015, 03:48:32 PM
well -- if you set up your test directory/forum and forgot to CHANGE the directories, then -- when you installed the mod, you actually installed it into your LIVE site...

Your only option may be to restore a backup

Thanks Kindred. I have separate ftp logins for each site, was very conscious of where I was installing the mod. I just don't get it. But at least things are back to normal again (see my update in previous post in blue). The test site is a duplicate of the real one, so maybe something is linked, somehow. IDN, just don't have the head for this kind of stuff I guess.
~Emo

Suki

You know you could have just waited until I got some time to fix the mod...  and yes, all your paths on your test forum are pointing out to your live site so anything you install on your test site you are actually installing it on your live one...

meh, another case where I rush to update a crappy mod because someone asked for it just to find out the user no longer wants it... 2 nights completely wasted! awesome!
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

debiwebi

Quote from: Suki on October 15, 2015, 06:24:26 PM
meh, another case where I rush to update a crappy mod because someone asked for it just to find out the user no longer wants it... 2 nights completely wasted! awesome!

Nooooooo... not wasted! Don't stop! I'm waiting for you to fix the mod. I'm not the only one who wants it. I was actually going to try running a test again tonight on a completely blank SMF test forum, was headed there to get that started when notice of your post came in. Don't stop, please!

And it's not a *crappy* mod, it's very useful and there's no other way out there to do what it does.

~Emo

margarett

If you have paths from your test forum pointing to your live forum, this applies (different context, same cause)
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=540548.0

debiwebi

Quote from: margarett on October 15, 2015, 06:54:56 PM
If you have paths from your test forum pointing to your live forum, this applies (different context, same cause)
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=540548.0

Thanks, it's entirely possible that I missed something when I duplicated and edited the db. Makes sense.

~Emo

Kindred

Why did you edit the database directly? That is a sure way to miss something
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

debiwebi

Quote from: Kindred on October 15, 2015, 09:55:44 PM
Why did you edit the database directly? That is a sure way to miss something

Sorry for the delay in replying, I didn't get an email notice that you'd posted.

I was duplicating the forum, to move it, which means a new IP among other things. I'm fairly used to moving Wordpress sites, and the fastest way for me to do it is search & replace (Dreamweaver) the links in the db because their plugin to help with that has not worked for me in the past. Then I manually edited Settings.php to match the new db name, login, etc. I know, very unprofessional and low-tech, but it's the only way I know and it's pretty quick.

As I may have to move my forum to new hosting some day, is there a better way to handle that? Is there something I can use to correct the paths? My current forum is the only real working experience I have with SMF and forums in general, so I'm constantly learning.

BTW I sure hope Suki will continue to work on the mod, I had no idea she'd started on it and I feel bad now that I interrupted the flow...

~Emo

Advertisement: