Warning - extreme noob question

Started by letterman7, October 07, 2015, 11:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letterman7

Hello all,
I've taken the unexpected dive into hosting a forum for a small group of enthusiasts. All my stuff is hosted through GoDaddy, and under an existing site that I own I used their plugin for SMF. Which worked great - was up and running in no time. The issue was I couldn't use forwarding with masking as the forum had nothing to do with the site it was under.. apparently there is an issue with sites developed with Dreamweaver (Windows) not allowing masking for Linux based hosting. Or something.. the tech was talking well above my pay grade.

So.. I decided fine, I'll simply register a domain and migrate the forum to the domain.. which wasn't so easy as, explained again by the tech, I had started another instance of SMF on the new domain (which I thought would be easiest, since I figured I could drag and drop the backup files and nothing would change). But no, I had to go through the cPanel section of PhPmyAdmin and import the new files there.... which at this point I was totally lost so the tech did it for me. And it worked - the forum is back up and running (with me as the admin) with one minor annoying glitch: I have the "The default theme directory is wrong, please correct by clicking this text" across the top of the page. Which I did. And navigated to the page with the theme URL's and such.

Easy enough, or so I thought.

The original URL went something like this: http:///mysite.com/newforum/Themes/default, so I thought that just simply replacing the 'mysite.com' with the new domain name would be the obvious fix. I did that with the images URL as well. And what happened when I reloaded the page was the page turned into a reading pane on the left side with no forum structure at all.

So.. since I am a complete newbie with SMF and have never touched cPanel in my life, where did I steer wrong? I'm assuming that I'm the only one who can see that message - looking at the site from an unregistered computer (or my phone) everything looks correct.

Have mercy - any hints/leads appreciated!

Rick

Illori

letterman7

Aha... took me a few tries to get it in the right directory, but after that... yes, it works! Perfect, thank you.

Advertisement: