News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Getting a "Max Allowed Packet Size" error when trying to send Newsletter via PM?

Started by Anarchology, October 08, 2015, 12:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anarchology

I tried sending out a Newsletter to all of the members on one of my forums via a Private Message. I end up getting the error below. I remember seeing a thread about the fix some time back, but I believe it was in the 2.0 version support, and I wasn't able to apply the fix.

Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
File: .../httpdocs/Sources/Subs-Auth.php
Line: 458

It seems as if there are different ways of going about this, and most deal with setting the max value to 100M. Obviously, I would do this temporarily to send the newsletters, and set it back to the original setting. I have FTP, SSH root access and the MySQL GUI via my server provider as means attack the issue. I just don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

vbgamer45

You would change it in my.cnf file max_allowed_packet increase it and then restart the mysql service.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Anarchology

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 08, 2015, 12:48:10 AM
You would change it in my.cnf file max_allowed_packet increase it and then restart the mysql service.

I remember this in the other thread. I was confused as to where to locate the my.cnf file. Am I looking for it via FTP in the forum file, in a sub folder under root access? I'll start looking around in the meantime.

Illori

unless you have a VPS or dedicated server you will not have access to that file.

vbgamer45

On my linux servers normally found in the /etc/ directory /etc/mysql/
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: