News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New tech support forum, needing members

Started by swifix, October 08, 2015, 05:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swifix

Hi everyone, nice to be back!

I was wondering if any of you will be able to give me some guidance on how to get members on my new tech support website. Im guessing a lot of you have been in the same boat and i just want to know really how you overcame this? I have added my meta data into the code and used SEO tools so now its on google, bing etc. I have also added tagging systems onto forum posts so it can be linked back to search engines also.

I would appreciate your help a lot all!

my website is - www.techlogik.co.uk [nofollow]

Livaco

Hello and welcome!

Their are a number of areas to get traffic and members:
First you can post in the Showcase Board. Please note that you need ten posts to start a topic there.
Secondley you could buy traffic (witch I doint recomend).
Or you can advertise your site and use a advertising site.

That's all I can think of,

good luck

swifix

thanks for your help Livaco.

Its just mental how difficult it is to target audiences when all forums have adversisement rules etc. but that is understandable... what forum owner would like users to promote other websites off theirs..

I will try and post on other websites, i believe my cpanel for my hosting had other tools which include promotions, soo i will give that a go also.

thanks for your help.
all the best

Livaco

Quote from: swifix on October 20, 2015, 08:07:06 AM
what forum owner would like users to promote other websites off theirs..
Il easyely create a board to advertise sites so you can post on here

suga

Start a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine"  In other words, send me a pm with your forum and I'll post if you also post at mine.  We can do a post exchange.

njtweb

The problem is, you're competing with established sites who have, (whether you believe this or not) a following of allegiance. I've been in this game for over 10 years now with my niche hobby/interest of hockey fights. In 2007 I added a board to my site and couldn't pay people to come to my site, literally. I tried giving away hockey tickets to NHL games, free clothing....etc. Nothing worked.

It wasn't until I started posting extremely unique material nobody else had. Since I'm a fight tape/dvd collector, I started posting some extremely rare footage, then guests started showing up, 1 by 1 my member base started growing. Everything was great until 2012, I had almost 2,000 registered and contributing members. Then I had the problem with my host. Godaddy upgraded their servers and somehow hosed my database. They claimed I did it but my site ran itself, I hadn't made any changes or anything. We wound up fighting over it and I told them I wouldn't pay them to keep hosting my site. A small problem turned into a huge one and somehow my domain name became available and my main competitor bought it, then re-directed all of my traffic back to his site. I lost a lot of loyal members, fast forward to today. I've been trying for the past several months to bring back those members and new ones but.....like you nothing is working. I've been getting a lot of guest activity but nobody is registering. It comes down to finding something that interests everybody and gets them to talk. Once you have a few people interested they'll start spreading the word and more will join. Its not an overnight success story, you could very easily go a year....two years without making any head way. You could very well wind up giving up. You've got to come up with unique ideas. Use Social media to spread the word. I wouldn't suggest going on other peoples boards and trying to coerce them into coming to your site, you'll just find yourself getting banned.

Good luck, it's not easy.

Advertisement: