News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Removing "Home ... Register ... Login" line from initial page

Started by JGE, October 08, 2015, 04:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGE

Hello,

There is a line on the initial page below the login lines, where you can see: Home   Help   Search   Login   Register

I think it is fairly useless, and it takes up a lot of space. How can I get rid of it? Where can this be found in the files?

Thanks in advance for insight

Illori

why do you want to remove the main menu? it is very useful.

JGE

Because I think that every function is already on the page. You can register or login above this line. You can perform a search in the upper-right hand corner. I just want to remove this line that shows these items once again in a row.

Kindred

Edit the menu arrat in subs.php.

However, do be aware... the search menu item is the only way to get to advanced search options easily...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

there is no other way to easily get to your PM's, or get to the moderation center... no other way for users to access to members list if that is allowed.

there is no other way to easily get into the admin panel either.

i hope you are leaving some options behind.

JGE

The line is fine in the administrator view - I agree that it should be kept there.

When I log out, and simply look at the board, there is also a very simple line there for guests. It only has a few items that are also shown elsewhere on the page. It could be the case that there is a better search function in the line, but otherwise I don't see a need for it (for GUESTS or non-administrators / moderators).

In fact, that line seemed to just pop up recently when I am not logged in. I don't think it was there in the beginning, but I only uploaded this board a few days ago.

JGE

Kindred: Thank you for more technical details, but I did a search in subs.php and could not find the word arrat.

Illori

try searching for home instead. it is an array instead of arrat.

Kindred

typing on a mobile sucks...

the menu ARRAY is what I meant.
If you read the FAQ on how to ADD a button to the main menu, you can do the reverse to remove a button.

On the other hand...  I pretty much guarantee that the menu bar was ALWAYS there on your site - along with all of those options.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: