It says I have the latestest version but on your site it talks of v2

Started by isthisright, October 10, 2015, 01:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isthisright

Hi,

I spent hours adding categories and posts to my new forum. Before I did that and right after I installed it I used the thing to check if it was the latest and after several steps (apparently it just updates a small amount, says it successfully undated, but then says oh, no, it's not the latest so I would click on it and update and finally it ends up saying this:

This shows you the versions of your installation's files versus those of the latest version. If any of these files are out of date, you should download and upgrade to the latest version at www.simplemachines.org.
SMF File   Your Version   Current Version
SMF Package   SMF 1.1.21   SMF 1.1.21
Sources   1.1.20   1.1.20
Default Templates   1.1.21   1.1.21
Language Files   1.1.21   1.1.21

So it says latest, then after all the work I did and time I spent I read online when looking into how to make sure spammers don't cause problems that there's a newer version and that one requires I start getting into my files at my host, am I reading that right? I can't just update and I can't expect it to tell me if I have the latest version and there's no way to just update like WP and tons of their plugins?

Not trying to sound ungrateful, I appreciate the forum available for people but those things don't make any sense.

Thanks.

LiroyvH

Hi,

That's correct.
1.1.21 is the latest version in the 1.1.x line.

We have different products:
1.0 (discontinued)
1.1 (Nearing EOL)
2.0 (Current version)
2.1 (Development beta)

These are the major versions, and then you have the sub-versions within each major.
So like 1.1.21 (.21 sub-version in 1.1) and 2.0.11 (.11 subversion in 2.0).

Each major version only displays available updates within that version.
So if you're running 1.1.20 it will give you an update to 1.1.21. If you're runing 2.0.10 it will give you an update to 2.0.11.
But it will not display an update in another major; so 1.1.21 will not tell you there's a update to 2.0.11, as it's a different product line.
Does that make sense? :)

People running 1.1 may not want to upgrade to 2.0 (though they should.), so we keep multiple products updated next to each other, separated from each other. Totally different product lines, totally different version numbers: different updates for each product line.
That's why the system looks at the latest update within the version (1.1 or 2.0) that you're running, but not in other versions.

Are you running any modifications? (mods)
Or did you just install SMF 1.1, added some boards, added some posts?

If no mods, then you can simply upgrade to 2.0.x now. All your categories, boards, posts, members, etc. will be retained.
Only mods, if you have any, will be removed. (You'll have to install them for 2.0 again, or if you don't have any: nevermind that. ;))
All you have to do is download the upgrade package from our download page, and extract it to your forum directory: then run the upgrader.
See: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading for more information.

An upgrade from the package manager, like wordpress offers through the admin center, is not possible unfortunately.
You indeed have to manually upgrade by getting in to files at your host, even though it's quite straightforward!
And of course, if you need any help because you don't understand or can't figure it out: just let us know where you get stuck, and ask for help! :)

Alternatively, there's also the charter membership where the upgrade will be done for you by the staff on request.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: