News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

too many clics

Started by nardoel, October 12, 2015, 02:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nardoel

Hello, I have created a forum running with simple machines here:
- well apparently I'm not allowed to tell you where -
I have the following problem. I wanted to create just one discussion zone (or whatever you call it) called Stammtisch. It is there all right, but in order to enter it, I have to click on something called "general discussions" which I never created and I have no control over that silly name. I don't want that. I want to have Stammtisch, and under that, the subjects. As it is, I have to click one time too many to reach the subjects. Why is it so, and how can I suppress the "general discussion" level ?

Thanks in advance

Nardoel

br360

General Discussion is the default board that comes with a new install. You can edit and rename it to whatever you would like. Take a look at this link which will show how to add and modify categories/boards, etc...- http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Boards

nardoel

Thank you very much, now I understand much better. It's Categories / Boards / Topics / Posts
Thanks to the link you provided, I could rename the board to something more congenial.

I still have a question though, is there a way to reduce the number of layers, for instance, to have a Board directly at top level or a Topic directly inside a Category ? I suspect the answer is no, but it's worth a try...
Cheers
Nardoel

Kindred

no....   but you don't have to click "inside" a category to get to the boards... categories are just an outline layer that helps organize the boards.

Message threads/topics are listed directly in the board...

so

Index page (aka boardindex.template) - lists all boards, organized by category
Message Index (aka messageindex.template) - lists all topics sorted by most recent post
Topic view (aka display.template) - lists all posts in the thread, sorted by post date
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

in other words, the default board General Discussion can be deleted and replaced with any board you wish. you can even delete the default category General Category and replace it with another of the name you wish, or change the name of it.

nardoel

Great, thank you; it's all cystal-clear now. In fact categories are just ways of organizing the display of the index page. I have set my category as always open (which saves a click) and renamed the board. Cheers. Nardoel

Advertisement: