News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Attachments cannot be downloaded

Started by =aXe=, November 03, 2015, 11:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=aXe=

I have this problem in my forum, that attachments cannot be downloaded by users, nor even me. When you click on attachment it opens an empty page with nothing on it and no file for download. Just the supposed link for attachment: http:// mysite.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=402.0;attach=51 [nofollow]
You are not asked, do you want to download the file, not even pop-up window with the file. Ever since I upgraded to 2.0.10 and then to 2.0.11 a week ago this problem appeared. Now I can't revert to 2.0.9 and can't use the attachments system. What should I do?

margarett

It's highly unlikely that the issue was caused by the upgrade to 2.0.11 (unless you had some errors and you ignored them...)

2 things:
a) check you server logs (not SMF error log, your PHP log!)
b) that empty page, use your browser to "View source" (CTRL + U in FF). If there is some content in it, please post it here inside code tags ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

=aXe=

This is what the empty page contain:

<html>

<head>
        <link title="Wrap Long Lines" href="resource://gre-resources/plaintext.css" type="text/css" rel="alternate stylesheet"></link>
    </head>
    <body>
        <pre></pre>
    </body>

</html>

You can see it on my site too: http://l2indigo.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.15 [nofollow]
Try to download l2.rar from page 2 in this topic
You will get the new page with address: http://l2indigo.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=402.0;attach=51 [nofollow]

Kindred

have to tried with an attachment that is not a rar or zip?   maybe just an image?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

=aXe=

=aXe=

=aXe=

Is there anyone who would like to help? I checked templates, index files and all seems normal. I just can't find from where the problem appears. I even updated to 2.0.11, but still download is impossible.

margarett

Try to check your server logs, maybe they help to understand the cause ;)

As for your forum, guest can't download attachments...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

=aXe=

Unfortunely, I still can't find where is the problem with downloading the attachments. No errors, no logs on it. I have the feeling that they cant be processed for download. Maybe cant be reverted to original format again and this leads to opening them in blank page, since the browser cant identify them as some sort of page. It really make me wonder how it happen on the first. It probably got to do something with this mod "SimpleAudioVideoEmbedder3.5a", which I installed some time ago. Maybe it hasn't been removed properly or it did some irreversible changes to the scripts.

Kindred

the SAVE mod does not touch attachments at all. it allows embedding of external site links/media.

What I suspect is that your HOST changed something.
The upgrade from .10 to .11 didn't touch the attachments.

So...   I recommend checking with your host.

On your side...   find one of the attachment files using your ftp or filemanager. -- pick one that you have identified as an actual ZIP (look in the attachments table in the database if you need to. That lists the attachment filename, the original filename and the extension.)

download that to your PC.
rename it with the proper extension
try to open it as a zip file.

I am betting that it will work.

I have a feeling that your host changed some configuration on the server side...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

=aXe=

Hello Kindred!
I've tried your method to download and rename attach. and its all fine. The file is the same and its working. Unfortunately I don't know if my host has done any changes or not. I will write a ticket today to ask them if they made any changes and will reply back.

Kindred

right... so your test confirms that the files themselves are correctly formatted and have not been corrupted.

this is sounding more and more like a host configuration thing...  I just don't know what they could have done to cause this sort of behavior...
Слaва
Украинi

=aXe=

I ask them, are there any changes to the server machine where my website has been hosted and they said, not in the past months.
Something else worries me. I made some changes to .htaccess and php.ini 2 months ago, and i wonder if this can affect the forum in some way. I also restored the old .htaccess file, but haven't restore the old php.ini. I will try that too to see if there is any change.
Can you tell me please which php documents operate with the attachments and downloads?

PS: Old php.ini doesn't change anything in the forum's behavior.

margarett

Your forum seems to be down right now?

=aXe=

It was, because I've tried to use an old DB, but messed up and deleted my current DB. I had to contact TS again in order to get access to my daily backups and restore that DB. Now is running again, with small rollback from 19.11. Unfortunately it didn't change anything with my problem and attachments were still not downloadable. So its not a DB problem.

Kindred

no... it's not a DB problem and it's not a file problem...

I am virtually certain that the issue is a server or host configuration issue which is rejecting the software's attempt to supply the user with a downloadable file...
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

Please create us a test account so that we can check ;)

=aXe=

No problem.
acc: attach , pass: test1

=aXe=

margarett

The server response is 503 service unavailable. You need to check with your host...

Advertisement: