News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

issues upgrading from 1.1.10 to 2.0.11

Started by AceAH47, November 07, 2015, 06:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AceAH47

Greetings, SMF community--

I'm a complete PHP novice who has been left in charge of a lightly-modded Simple Machines forum (v1.1.10), currently running on my third-party host.  I'm trying to institute a long-overdue upgrade to 2.0.11, and having some trouble.  I have:
  • Backed up the existing install and database
  • Downloaded the upgrade package.
  • Unzipped it on my own system, then uploaded the complete unzip to the appropriate directory on the host, allowing it to overwrite the old files (since apparently I'm not allowed to unzip the upgrade package ON the host.)
  • Manually checked the permissions for all the relevant folders and files (they're all set to 755/644, duplicating the exact same settings as the working v1.1.10 installation).
  • Navigated to upgrade.php in the relevant directory via Web browser.
At this point, the upgrader screen appears, but fails with a variety of error messages of similar formats, including:

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/acemoore/amber/upgrade.php on line 3493
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/acemoore/amber/upgrade.php on line 3488
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in home/acemoore/amber/upgrade.php on line 3476
  [maybe;  this message is top-line, with the bottom halves of the chs sliced off]

Etcetera.  I don't get to telling it my connection info, or any of the other steps documented elsewhere.

From reading similar threads, I'm guessing the upgrader is trying to reference missing files, as if my FTP transfer dropped something, but every spot-check comparison I've made between the unzipped package and the directories on the host matches.  Plus I re-uploaded a few times to try to make sure everything transferred.

Any guidance on how to proceed, or where I should be looking?

margarett

I've encountered some upgrades with the same symptoms. Most of those were caused by a missing "Themes/default" folder (and content of course) or a missing theme with id=1 in the database. Both cases aren't supposed to happen so the upgrade tool can't deal with it.

Check this post
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=536475.msg3814340#msg3814340
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

AceAH47

Thank you.  I'm in-progress on creating a copy of the v1 installation I can use to test the upgrade schema;  once it's in place, I'll work with the information in the other post, and report back if it worked.

margarett

Don't forget that the upgrader requires a *functional* copy of 1.1.x before you load the 2.0.x files and start the upgrade tool.

So that means that you should first duplicate your 1.1.x setup, then load and run repair_settings in the new location, and finally you can load the large upgrade package and run it ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

AceAH47

Those tips about the upgrader requiring a functional installation, and about repair_settings saved the day--  they led directly to the solution.

I created the clone of the v1.1.10 site on my host (making sure to transfer all the files as Binary, after reading AncientDragonfly's warning about Filezilla in the sticky thread).  Then I verified all the folder permissions and ran repair_settings, using the paths it suggested.  The resultant installation was only semi-functional.  When I compared the suggested settings to the existing settings, I figured out that the live site wasn't using /Sources as its sources folder; it was using a custom folder named /usersources instead.  Switching to /usersources made the clone fully functional.

After that, I installed the upgrade package and patched upgrade.php as per your suggestions.  Running the patched upgrader gave all the same errors as last time--  so I used repair_settings to set the sources folder back to /Sources, and after that, everything worked perfectly.  The clone is now upgraded to v2.0.11, and runs without a hitch.  I'm confident the live installation will do the same.

Thank you again for the timely help!

Advertisement: