News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Activation Mail Fails To Send

Started by Faraz Ali, November 12, 2015, 03:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faraz Ali

Hello,

I hope i'm posting this in the correct board or else admins please give me a link to that.

Recently I downloaded SMF and uploaded to my web server! Everything works fine(till now) but there is a problem with the activation and welcome email.

When any user tries to register to the forum he/she does not get any activation or welcome email, but when an administrator sends a reminder email via ->
Admin->Features and Options->Members->View All Members->Awaiting For Activation.
They do get a reminder email, also if somebody tries the forget password function they do get email for that also!

I tried the testmail script found on the manual and that was also a success.

I am using SMF v2.0.11 (Latest build I guess)
Mailer - PHPMail (Default)
Webmaster mail set to - [email protected]

Forum link - forum.clipurl.tk [nofollow]

Help Appreciated!

Thanks.

margarett

Hi and welcome to sm.org ;)

What are your mail settings? Do you have mail queue enabled?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Faraz Ali

Quote from: margarett on November 12, 2015, 05:32:53 AM
Hi and welcome to sm.org [nofollow] ;)

What are your mail settings? Do you have mail queue enabled?

Hey, thanks for the welcome, hope this would be a great journey!

Sorry, the mail queue wasn't enabled, please guide me about the mail per minute and page per load settings and also why is it required to enable mail queue?

There is a image attached with this post showing my mail settings.

Thanks!

margarett

I usually suggest 5 per minute, 2 per page load.

It isn't required to enable mail queue, but it helps to have it enabled so that SMF tries to send out the emails at a steady pace. Since your forum is just starting, it shouldn't be a problem, but helps to diagnose the issue.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Faraz Ali

Quote from: margarett on November 12, 2015, 06:15:17 AM
I usually suggest 5 per minute, 2 per page load.

It isn't required to enable mail queue, but it helps to have it enabled so that SMF tries to send out the emails at a steady pace. Since your forum is just starting, it shouldn't be a problem, but helps to diagnose the issue.

Tried but still it doesn't sends :(

Any other solution?

This happens only with activation and welcome email, forget password and admin reminder for activation is fine!

Thanks

Faraz Ali

Thanks for the helps!

I found the solution!

I guess the problem was with the PHP version! The server was using PHP v5.5 and I downgraded to PHP v5.3 and it works fine! (Till now lol)

Thanks again!

margarett

I'm glad you fixed the issue but that's not a proper solution unfortunately :(
SMF is perfectly compatible with PHP 5.5 so it HAS to work. I wonder which configurations would prevent it...

Faraz Ali

Quote from: margarett on November 18, 2015, 09:10:56 AM
I'm glad you fixed the issue but that's not a proper solution unfortunately :(
SMF is perfectly compatible with PHP 5.5 so it HAS to work. I wonder which configurations would prevent it...

Yep i know its not the perfect solution.. maybe the server was causing the problem! I also changed the hosting :D

青山 素子

Please keep in mind that PHP 5.3 is out of support and will not be fixed for any security issues. The oldest version of PHP with security support is 5.5. (5.4 is supported in RHEL/CentOS 7 as security patches are backported by the vendor.)
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Faraz Ali

Quote from: 青山 素子 on November 18, 2015, 01:41:47 PM
Please keep in mind that PHP 5.3 is out of support and will not be fixed for any security issues. The oldest version of PHP with security support is 5.5. (5.4 is supported in RHEL/CentOS 7 as security patches are backported by the vendor.)

Any solution then for my problem?

青山 素子

You might want to talk to your host. However, given it looks like you're with Hostinger, good luck. They pretty much brushed off a giant hack of their infrastructure a few weeks ago.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Faraz Ali

Quote from: 青山 素子 on November 19, 2015, 12:07:39 PM
You might want to talk to your host. However, given it looks like you're with Hostinger, good luck. They pretty much brushed off a giant hack of their infrastructure a few weeks ago.

Oh boy!!

I tried the next attempt with 2FreeHosting which looks fine with the PHPv thing I said above..

Any problems with that?

Thanks for informing!

Faraz Ali

Hello,

I am still unable to send registration mails with Hostinger as my Host.

I tested testmail script which does sends a mail, also password reset  mail is also being sent and Admin Forced Remind for Activation mail is also being sent.

Please help me with this!

Advertisement: