News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Share thread to FaceBook, Twitter, other Social Media.

Started by Bixby, November 16, 2015, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixby

We have been running an SMF site for a number of years and the site largely focuses on event planning and event management. It would be very helpful if there was an easy way to promote event threads to social media sites. We use the out of date "Share this" mod but it is problematic. We encourage all event owners to set up their events and propagate them to social media with a link and image in order to drive traffic to the SMF site. Social media events can dilute an event campaign so our focus is to get as much of the planning on our SMF site and simply use the social media tools to promote the event from SMF outwards.

Hope that makes sense.
Matt

Thanks again for the amazing platform. We are making great use of the tools.
Life is Short; Play Games!

margarett

There are some MODs which allow you to share posts to social media.
The problem is that FB, Twitter, etc, change their APIs every once in a while, which forces authors to update their MODs more than they are willing to...

If the MOD you use still works maybe it's better to keep it and try to fix whatever problems it gives you...
Or you can try some alternatives (although you should do this in a test board so that it doesn't affect your live forum)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bixby

Thanks for the prompt reply. I do not do any programming or mods myself so I am truly at the mercy of those more talented. I guess I will limp along with what I have now. I am surprised there is not a higher need / desire for those though.

Regards,
Matt

Kindred

there is a desire for them -- Which is why there are mods for it.
The reason we do not include it as part of the core (just like WordPress and many other softwares do not) is because those services changes their data format, sometimes without warning. If they change it, it would require a complete new release of our software --- However, by using a mod, the mod can be updated and installed without requiring us to make a formal release.

Most mods will not require any hand coding on your part. That is the point of mods.
Use the SMF package manager to automatically install the feature.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bixby

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I feel these could be addressed in minor patches much the same as security patches are released, but I trust you know the difficulty / feasibility of that far better than I.

Also, I am not aware of any currently available mods that does this. Sorry, if there are and I just could not find them.

margarett

Which is the one you use and which problems does it have?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bixby

Share This Topic 3.0

The icons no longer show on the Forum and there is no control over what, (if any), image from the thread will show up in Facebook post.

Antes

Only if we knew basic sharer (sharer.php for facebook) not gonna die like forever :P and I strongly disagree with my team friends that APIs changing so fast (and yes last time twitter changed their API they gave very little like 6 or 8 months to migrate only because there was a massive spam/abuse of API). We don't need APIs here to show share buttons (but may need JS files, which they are not ultimately needed as well).

margarett

Quote from: Antes on November 16, 2015, 06:30:20 PM
I strongly disagree with my team friends that APIs changing so fast
I didn't say it was so fast :P

Quote from: Bixby on November 16, 2015, 06:23:07 PM
Share This Topic 3.0
You can try this (it seems to be the MOD you're using but a more recent version)
https://github.com/MissAllSunday/ShareThis

Quote from: Bixby on November 16, 2015, 06:23:07 PM
there is no control over what, (if any), image from the thread will show up in Facebook post.
There were some discussions over that. I don't know if Suki's MOD handle that or not but you can ask at Github ;)

Bixby

Advertisement: