going from 1.1.21 to 2.0.11, need help

Started by hurricanenick, November 22, 2015, 08:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurricanenick

ok, so hear me out. I have everything on the site updated to 1.1.21 except the database is still showing 1.1.10 so I have a ton of errors. I have been trying to up grade my forum but have not have had success because the upgrade.php gives me the following error:

Not Found The requested URL/upgrade.php was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Ok, so I have my site hosted through Hostgator and have a cpanel. They were able to clear this up and found the upgrade.php file and I was able to see a different screen with the upgrade.php url. But that only told me my files were old, fix them before continuing.

After that, I had a pink banner on my site saying:

MAJOR SECURITY RISK: You have not removed upgrade.php!

When I saw that, I deleted upgrade.php in my forum on the cpanel. I didn't want to risk any issues. Hostgator is not helping out now by re-adding the upgrade.php back into my forum database where it was. I downloaded 1.1.10 and opened it up and uploaded upgrade.php but that has done nothing, I still get the not found message.

My main question is if I upgrade via cpanel, do my posts dissapear? I also will save through the admin panel in SMF, the tables, the important stuff, etc.
how can I add upgrade my site now? I did a backup on Friday night, but if I restore that backup, will I lose posts since Friday night? Are the backups just for the database and the backups via SMF admin panel, for the other stuff(posts,tables).

I just want to get this done. Hopefully I explained it correctly.

Kindred

Who knows what the host's cpanel will do...   we are not overly impressed with HostGator, in general...

Your best bet is to follow the upgrade instructions from the wiki.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hurricanenick

Thanks for the reply. so is there another way to upgrade?

br360

I personally never had an SMF  1x version site, but in 2.x, there were no database changes from say 2.0 to 2.0.11, so I would be surprised if there were any db changes from 1.1.10 to 1.1.21- so I wouldn't think any of your errors were due to your smf version.

Just to be sure; did you download the 2.0.11 Large upgrade zip from here- http://download.simplemachines.org/

If you did, did you then upload the zip through your cpanel? If yes to that, did you then extract the zip; because if you just uploaded the zip without extracting it, then you would be getting the "Not Found The requested URL/upgrade.php was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request." errors.

If you upgrade through cpanel, your posts will not disappear. However, you should be doing a complete back up of both your files and database through cpanel, and not through the admin panel of your forum (the tables, the important stuff, etc.)- as backing up from your admin panel can be buggy and may not actually back up everything.

Make sure you backup from cpanel- especially the database in your phpadmin- as that is where the important stuff really is (posts, members, etc) If your site is running fine now, you can simply just backup everything again right before you try to upgrade again.

Illori

Quote from: br360 on November 23, 2015, 02:57:33 AM
I personally never had an SMF  1x version site, but in 2.x, there were no database changes from say 2.0 to 2.0.11, so I would be surprised if there were any db changes from 1.1.10 to 1.1.21- so I wouldn't think any of your errors were due to your smf version.

i am not sure if it was before or after 1.1.10 or not but the attachments were changed to be hashed and that required updating the database.

hurricanenick

so basically I can upload the SMF 2.0.11 large file into my forum's database and once in the database in cpanel, I extract the file open and it overrides the old files and I can then run the upgrader?

Jade Elizabeth

That banner for the security risk only shows to you, and is there to remind you to remove it when you're done. Reupload the upgrade and run it, and it will work fine and then you can delete it. If you're having a lot of issues with it feel free to hit me up via PM and I'll come help you out :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: hurricanenick on November 23, 2015, 06:35:24 PM
so basically I can upload the SMF 2.0.11 large file into my forum's database and once in the database in cpanel, I extract the file open and it overrides the old files and I can then run the upgrader?

Yes, pretty much.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: