News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SAML and SMF

Started by Whitni Watkins, November 25, 2015, 11:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitni Watkins

Hi All -

New to the forum and new to SMF. Has anyone be able to integrate SAML with SMF?

Thanks,
Whitni

Kindred

ummm.... SAML is Security Assertion Markup Language

It's not a different software...   it's a different language.

SMF is written in PHP and javascript, which parses to HTML and javascript -- and sometimes XML

Since SMLF can generate XML, I would assume that it could generate SAML (which appears to be a specific use of XML)
However... to the best of my knowlegde nobody has done so... actually, to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever even asked for it before.

So... that leads to the question... WHY do you thnk SMF should parse SAML?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Whitni Watkins

Integrate was obviously the wrong word - running on fumes here.

My CPOW wants to authenticate our internal forum (not available to public in any way) through SAML using their network credentials, I've been tasked to figure out if we can configure it to do so.

Before I attempted to work on it, I didn't want to reinvent the wheel so I asked (since multiple forum searches and LOADS of thread reading on SSO resulted in nothing)

To answer your question directly: because my place of work uses SAML for authentication and rather then implement something different we want to keep a standard as we move forward - that's why I think SMF should parse SAML. :)

Kindred

ah....   I see.

Well, as I said, you are actually the FIRST person to even make an inquiry about it...

Additionally, we don't typically write routines for systems -> SMF...   most of what we have written deals with transferring smf data to -> other systems

The closest I can think of would be the API -- but that doesn't do SAML, it just passes authentication information into SMF

So... in short (too late)
nope... we don't accept SAML as an incoming authentication method

We did handle OpenID, but even that has been deprecated at this point...
Some folks have written scripts to accept OAUTH (google, facebook, twitter)
I know someone did something for the microsoft server stuff...

but nothing to do with SAML.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Whitni Watkins

If I figure it out I'll post back on this thread with an update.

Thanks.
W

Advertisement: