News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

need some help

Started by 1mainiac, November 25, 2015, 06:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1mainiac

I went to upgrade my site a couple weeks ago and blew it up. I have it restored to a mostly non functional version of 2.0.8 I cannot access admin and nearly all of my links are messed up. If you go to mscst.com [nofollow] it will open the home page but any links such as mscst.com/SMF/index.php?action=forum [nofollow] do not work unless you edit them to hmscst.com/index.php?action=forum [nofollow]  . Is there any simple way to solve this without losing all my content for some reason all my stuff used to be in the SMF subfolder but now nothing will work with that subfolder in the line. This is  a summer fishing site so I have a few weeks to sort it out or just give up and build a new site.I am pretty sure what ever my options are I will have to do a upgrade or repair via FTP since I cannot access the Admin section. Any ideas would be a great help.
Thanks
Jim

Illori

can you try running What is repair_settings.php? it sounds like you changed your URL but did not change it in SMF.

1mainiac

Well that made it worse Guess I start over from scratch and lose years of the site running.

Kindred

Well, I don't think you are clearly explaining your issue...

Also, there is no need to lose everything. Content is stored in the database, and you are having issues with the files and paths...

You need to correct your paths and URLs.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

1mainiac

Perhaps I am not saying it correctly the fact is all I want is to have a simple site that works. I have no desire to be a programmer or to spend my nights trying to fix the site. My mistake was to try a upgrade on a working forum. What ever the problem is it is beyond my desire or ability to spend hours hunting down errors to fix it. I will do a fresh install and start over my question now is how do I recover my users and their passwords so they can log on once I replace it? I know I should of backed up  before I did the upgrade but the forum has worked well for nearly 7 years and I have done several upgrades with no issues. SO I just did the upgrade without saving the site first. That is on me what would help would be if someone can tell me a way to reinstall the user files once I complete the rebuild? 

Kindred

No no no no no and a thousand times no
You are not paying attention.

Do not "start over"
There is no need to do that.

Delete all files, other than the settings.php, settings_bak.php, the avatar directory and the attachments directory (do not delete those)
Load the files from the 2.0.11 upgrade archive.
Run upgrade.php

Done...   You are now running 2.0.11, hopefully with no errors.
Add mods and themes as you need
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

1mainiac

I have tried several versions of that with no luck. I think part of the issue is in how I built the site up over the years. When I started I had a read only site with several info pages my partner could not do any updates so I had to load and code every page often making mistakes and having to restart. When I decided to try and use this forum software I built the site in a subfolder where I left it hidden til I got most of the bugs out and had it running the way I wanted it then I removed the old site to a second sub directory and copied the SMF files to my root directory. So when you opened the index.php file it took you to the subdirectory and opened the forum. So over the years it grew and became harder to keep file locations straight. I am pretty sure when I did the last attempt at upgrading I loaded the upgrade file wrong so the upgrade messed up my database and all my links are now messed up. So in fact I have several messed up forums on one server I am not sure how to unscramble the eggs and fix it. Also I cannot run upgrade as it fails every time I deleted all my files and tried a new install but it still fails so I am stuck.

Kindred

Pm me your Cpanel address and login information along with the admin login for the forum. I will check and see if I can do the upgrade properly for you.
Слaва
Украинi

1mainiac

Ok what is cpanel sorry I amd just smart enough with this to make a mess of it LOL.

Kindred

Cpanel is your hosting service....   The file manager, etc..
Слaва
Украинi

1mainiac

1mainiac

I did a clean install of 2.06 in a new sub directory which worked then I tried to upgrade it and got the same error which is a missing Subs-Auth.php file called for in Sources/Security.php on line 543.

Kindred

Sorry, I have no had a chance to respond to you... But i see the problem. Go daddy is being stupid again.  They are stupidly deleting files that the system needs because their security protocols are idiotic and think that smf has spam viruses...

Basically, reupload the files in your file manager instead of FTP.
Слaва
Украинi

1mainiac

So the problem is using my FTP I can try doing it with file manager.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

1mainiac

Ok so if I want to clean it up can I just reinstall the files and directories you said above and run the upgrade just do the uploads with the file manager?

1mainiac

Then I can reinstall the other files and mods to complete the process?

Kindred

yes... although - make sure that whatever mod and themes you choose to install are designed for 2.0.
Слaва
Украинi

1mainiac

Ok I did what I said which was to remove everything except the files and directories you listed and ran the upgrade. The site is now live with 2.0.11 however none of the links work I cannot use a single  link without removing the sub folder SMF from the link after it fails so I cannot go into admin because it directs me to a dead end. I said whatever and reinstalled the missing sub folder but it still will not work. So I can now log into the site mscst.com [nofollow] but every link has mscst.com/SMF/ [nofollow] in it if I remove the /SMF and reload the pages are there but the links are dead on them as well. Now what do I try

Kindred

did you have the forum originally installed in that subfolder?

If so, then you need to correct the system urls and paths...

use repair_settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: