News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Club Forum Upgrade That Has Gone Wrong, Needing Some Help.

Started by tuko, November 27, 2015, 04:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuko

Today I finally got to upgrading our clubs forum from 1.1.21 to 2.0.11 which didn't go well after the upgrade.

The first error that I got is this "Unable to load the 'main_above' template" which searching here I saw that it was a common problem but I unfortunately couldn't solve it.
So I simply replaced the entire SMF folder on the site with the backup that I made a few days ago. After doing that I ran into more errors that were related to MySQL. In phpMyAdmin I imported the last DB backup that I have from 2 days ago and ran the repair.php but again more errors.

After several hours today I finally have some form of resemblance of our forum but am missing parts of the forum plus the biggy, ALL posts/threads. Here is our forum: http://www.maritimerovers.org/smf/index.php

At this point, I've been at this all day and can't think anymore, any tips/suggestions/comments that will help me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kindred

You can not restore the 1.1.x files with the upgraded 2.0.x database.

The unable to load temp,ate suggests that you had, maybe a 1.1,X theme after you upgraded...

Do the upgrade... Fully.
Files and script to upgrade the database.
Reset your site theme and all users to the default theme and Delete all other themes
Basically, you seem to have your site partially running 1.1.x and partially upgraded to 2.0.x and the site will never run with it like that
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tuko

The problems yesterday started as you basically described. I finished installing the large upgrade, the forum was still using the older theme. It did have a number of cosmetic errors but all the entries were present. Therefore I decided to change to Core Theme (2.0) thinking that I could alter the new theme to maybe suit the forum. Once the change was done, refreshed then everything went wrong.

As the forum is now, are you saying that I can apply the Full upgrade now?

BTW, thank you for the response.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tuko

If you kindly look at the forum now, I just got it back to where I was originally yesterday.

The fear that I have right now is when I change the theme to default everything is will go south very fast. LOL

Kindred

change the theme to default... not to core.

You can not use a 1.1.x theme on a 2.0.x system. That will cause issues...

You actually will need to DELETE your 1.1.x theme....  you don't want anyone using it.
Слaва
Украинi

tuko

Kindred,
thank you for the help I greatly appreciate it.
I see now that I'm having issues with the avatars. Searching I see that I have to run the repair.php again or should I say 2 times. Before doing so should I restore the database and if so should I use the one that I made 2 days ago or the new one from an hour ago?

Kindred

Why do you need to restore anything?   If the system was running ok, then you did the upgrade... And the only problem is avatars, then just run repair_settings.php now... No restore
Слaва
Украинi

tuko

The reason for the question is because the last time I ran the repair_settings.php it appeared to not make any changes. With that said, I will run it again. Thanks.

Kindred

you have to actually select the updates, click apply and save
Слaва
Украинi

tuko

I know that and did that.
Anyways even running the repair_settings.php has not brought back the avatars. Searching in the database on phpMyAdmin I can not find anything that is related to avatars. It appears that any and all strings to them are gone. The only thing that I can think I can do now is restore an earlier version of the DB but didn't I read some wheres within the many searches here that you shouldn't use an older DB (1.1.xx) with SMF 2.0.xx ?

Kindred

not only should you not...   you CAN NOT...   the database changes formats in several places.

Avatars are stored in the smf_members table
Слaва
Украинi

tuko

Quote from: Kindred on November 29, 2015, 11:23:40 AM

Avatars are stored in the smf_members table

The Avatar column has a grand total of only 8 avatars, 4 of them from the avatar folder and the remaining 4 from another folder.  So it seems that the info for all the users who had avatars is missing. I'll be honest, I'm stumped.

tuko

After more reading and investigation I can see that attachments are gone also. It appears that using Filezilla was the culprit according to this thread: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=528043.0

So as it stands today, I've added many of the users avatars to their profiles which some what solves that problem but with the attachments it looks like were are sh!t out of luck.

Advertisement: