News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

A few questions from someone wanting to switch from phpbb

Started by The Armchair Soldier, December 01, 2015, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Armchair Soldier

Hi all,

I hope I was right in placing this topic here. If not, I do apologise.

I currently run a phpbb forum but I am interested in making a move to Simple Machines. I have a few questions I need answering before I make a switch, however:

1. Are there any phpbb 3.1 converters out there? I need to preserve all my old forum's topics and posts.

2. Can SMF 2.0 mods/extensions/styles work with SMF 2.1? I ask because it was one of the main frustrations of phpbb for me. Nearly every extension or style I needed was only available to the older versions of phpbb.

Regards.

Illori

some mods for SMF 2.0 may work with SMF 2.1, but since 2.1 is in beta and still changing we cant guarantee that any mods will work with 2.1. once 2.1 is fully released then mod authors will work on updating their mods to work with 2.1.

margarett

There is no converter for phpBB 3.1 unfortunately :(

About 2.0/2.1, as Illori most likely most will not work (themes will not, for sure). It's pretty much the same background as with phpBB (or any other software, most likely...). Major versions bring major code changes, which make old code unusable.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

The Armchair Soldier

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's a real shame there isn't a converter available for phpbb 3.1 as my members won't accept a move to SMF unless they're able to bring all their topics and posts with them. Is there no other way to transfer posts, aside from using a converter? :(

margarett

In the current form or any other, a tool for moving content from one system to another is always a converter :P
Even if you do it manually (which would be a crazy idea :P ) it'll be a conversion.

It's on my todo list, but unfortunately that only keeps growing ::)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: