Upgrade error going from 1.1.21 to 2.0.11

Started by Trammell, December 02, 2015, 10:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trammell

I am trying to upgrade the forum, and I get the following error message (among others):

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home2/wenalway/public_html/forum/upgrade.php on line 3476

"Undefined index" is the common thread to the error messages.

I have tried re-extracting and re-FTPing the files from the 2.0.11 upgrade folder multiple times. Apparently something is not making it over in the transfer, but I am not sure what it is.

If there is already a thread answering this question, please direct me to it. (As long as it's not simply the instructions for extracting and FTPing. Unless the FTP clients -- and I have tried 2 different ones -- are not working, the process should match the instructions. However, if there is some glitch I should be spotting there, I'd be glad to hear about it.)

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't know if this will help -

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=539701.20

OP does fix the problem, but thread turns into a furball toward the end.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Trammell

I found that one, but I would prefer not to try to solve it that way.

I saw a thread with minimal (I think) coding changes, followed by running repair_settings. I would be open to going that route if it's proved to work.

Sir Osis of Liver

For reasons unknown, upgrade.php is not finding /Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php, that's where $txt['upgrade_upgrade_utility'] = 'SMF Upgrade Utility'; is located, and that's what's missing in line 3476 -

<h1 class="forumtitle">', $txt['upgrade_upgrade_utility'], '</h1>

If you are missing that file, it's included in the large upgrade package.  Copy it to /Themes/default/languages/ and try the upgrade again.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

margarett

Remember that your 1.1.x forum needs to be perfectly running before you start the upgrade ;) So if you moved your files and/or database, you need to get your 1.1.x files back in place, then run repair_settings, then load the large upgrade files and finally run the upgrade ;)

If you didn't move anything, I identified an issue which seems to happens in some rare cases (no idea why), when the default theme was either removed or has id != 1 so the upgrade tool is searching for the text strings in the wrong places.
For cleaniness sake, I always recommend to remove Sources and Themes completely, before you load the large upgrade package. That way you are sure that there are no "leftovers" ;)
Check this topic:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=538721.0
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Trammell

I have not moved any files or a database.

I also ran repair_settings already. So I assume I am good to go.

I will try your other suggestions.

Trammell

I tried editing the code, as suggested in the other thread. The error messages are the same.

I will try your other suggestion about removing Sources and Themes. That will have to wait for another night, though, as I'm out of time for this.

margarett

At this point I can only help you further if I can check it in place... So if you're comfortable providing me your cPanel (or other control panel you might be using) login details, I can check it for you.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bigguy

margarett

This is now fixed. After loading a fresh upgrade package (deleting old folders) and removing some scattered files around, the upgrade finished without issues.

G_D_I

I had the same issue during upgrade and solved it by using 'Try English' option. My forum was in other language and I think it was a cause of issue.

Advertisement: