News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrade error going from 1.1.21 to 2.0.11

Started by Trammell, December 02, 2015, 10:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trammell

I am trying to upgrade the forum, and I get the following error message (among others):

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home2/wenalway/public_html/forum/upgrade.php on line 3476

"Undefined index" is the common thread to the error messages.

I have tried re-extracting and re-FTPing the files from the 2.0.11 upgrade folder multiple times. Apparently something is not making it over in the transfer, but I am not sure what it is.

If there is already a thread answering this question, please direct me to it. (As long as it's not simply the instructions for extracting and FTPing. Unless the FTP clients -- and I have tried 2 different ones -- are not working, the process should match the instructions. However, if there is some glitch I should be spotting there, I'd be glad to hear about it.)

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't know if this will help -

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=539701.20

OP does fix the problem, but thread turns into a furball toward the end.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Trammell

I found that one, but I would prefer not to try to solve it that way.

I saw a thread with minimal (I think) coding changes, followed by running repair_settings. I would be open to going that route if it's proved to work.

Sir Osis of Liver

For reasons unknown, upgrade.php is not finding /Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php, that's where $txt['upgrade_upgrade_utility'] = 'SMF Upgrade Utility'; is located, and that's what's missing in line 3476 -

<h1 class="forumtitle">', $txt['upgrade_upgrade_utility'], '</h1>

If you are missing that file, it's included in the large upgrade package.  Copy it to /Themes/default/languages/ and try the upgrade again.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

margarett

Remember that your 1.1.x forum needs to be perfectly running before you start the upgrade ;) So if you moved your files and/or database, you need to get your 1.1.x files back in place, then run repair_settings, then load the large upgrade files and finally run the upgrade ;)

If you didn't move anything, I identified an issue which seems to happens in some rare cases (no idea why), when the default theme was either removed or has id != 1 so the upgrade tool is searching for the text strings in the wrong places.
For cleaniness sake, I always recommend to remove Sources and Themes completely, before you load the large upgrade package. That way you are sure that there are no "leftovers" ;)
Check this topic:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=538721.0
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Trammell

I have not moved any files or a database.

I also ran repair_settings already. So I assume I am good to go.

I will try your other suggestions.

Trammell

I tried editing the code, as suggested in the other thread. The error messages are the same.

I will try your other suggestion about removing Sources and Themes. That will have to wait for another night, though, as I'm out of time for this.

margarett

At this point I can only help you further if I can check it in place... So if you're comfortable providing me your cPanel (or other control panel you might be using) login details, I can check it for you.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bigguy

margarett

This is now fixed. After loading a fresh upgrade package (deleting old folders) and removing some scattered files around, the upgrade finished without issues.

G_D_I

I had the same issue during upgrade and solved it by using 'Try English' option. My forum was in other language and I think it was a cause of issue.

Advertisement: