News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Link to list the threads a user is posting in - in order of most recent activity

Started by eDNA, January 05, 2016, 08:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eDNA

Some forums call it My Threads others may have a different name for it but it is a button that displays the threads a user is posting in and lists them in order of most recent activity so a user can have a quick overview of activity in just the threads they are posting in, usually the threads they are most interested in.

I am a user and a forum where I asked for this feature said that if there was a "simple enough add on" that they would consider it so I would be grateful for any answer I can take back to that forum for implementation.
Thank you.

Kindred

in other words -- no add-on needed, it's already there, part of every user's profile
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

eDNA

Thank you for your reply.
The link appears to list just the user's posts (in full no less), so hypothetically if a user wrote a single multi-page post, the link would cover the entire screen with just displaying the user's post - in full. If I may clarify the thread question: Rather than displaying the user's post's contents (in full), is there a way for SimpleMachine software to have this standard feature present in other forum software:

The threads a user is participating in are simply listed in order of most recent activity, thread title and thread starter are identified as is the last poster and time of last post.
There is even a little arrow link [not pictured in this screenshot] that takes you to the last unread post once someone makes a post in a thread you are participating in that you haven't read:

This may be viewed as an essential forum tool because it allows you to have a single click overview of latest activity in threads you are participating in...

Would there be a way to make this feature be part of SimpleMachine software too?

Kindred

in SMF 1.1.x, almost certainly NOT - since 1.1.x is at end of life and is receiving no further updates.

in 2.0.x - probably not - since 2.0.x is in bug fix and security release

in 2.1 - also probably not - since we are already working on beta3 and are not adding any new functionality.

however, you might go to the mod requests board and ask for someone to make you a mod for it.

BTW: However. you can get a list of THREADS instead of posts
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=430224
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

eDNA

Thank you for the mod suggestion, I have posted there.

Your link just displays contents of user's posts - that's not as relevant to the user as is seeing if someone else has posted in threads he is participating...

Without the feature I am requesting, what do you do after making (for example) 99 posts all over the forum - do you manually go into each individual sub forum just to check if there's a chance that someone replied? A single click display would give you a quick overview instantly so you can just go to the thread that's been bumped up to the top in order of activity if someone else posted in one of the many threads you are participating in...

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

eDNA

Thank you for your reply.
You are correct, although the link only lists unread topics found since your last visit.

I understand there is no way to list only the threads you are participating in, for easier access to them, and no one ever made a mod that would simply list threads you are participating in - in order of most recent activity.

Kindred

no...   in short - because that query (looking just for unread) is one of the most "expensive" queries in the system...   and what you are asking for is potentially even more so.
Слaва
Украинi

eDNA

SOme forums using your software have a an ADD BOOKMARK link to bookmark any thread and so MY BOOKMARKS accomplishes this goal!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: