News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Does anyone offer services for migrating from Vanilla2 to SMF?

Started by Larvas, January 13, 2016, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larvas

Hey guys,

I'm new to the board and sorry for such a direct approach with 0 posts. The thing is, I recently acquired an older domain and it has wordpress 3.0 on it together with a vanilla2 forum. Although I'm good with WordPress and can do everything connected to it alone, I'm not that good with forums. So, my question is, is there anyone professional here offering migrating services?

I would need the whole current forum transferred to SMF without losing any permalinks/topics/users...

Thanks, regards!

njtweb

Out of curiosity, why would anybody pay for a forum script, much less one like Vanilla? What is the benefit of paying astronomical monthly fees?

margarett

Quote from: njtweb on January 13, 2016, 04:07:58 PM
why would anybody pay for a forum script, much less one like Vanilla? What is the benefit of paying astronomical monthly fees?
No hosting hassles, no maintenance to perform, upgrades to do, etc. It's a similar service to the one offered by Proboards. The price is astronomic yes, but hey, they have customers :P Do note, there is support included so it's really for a different "target" than what we usually see in Open Source forum softwares ;)
However, Vanilla has a "download and use yourself" version which is free --> https://vanillaforums.org/download

Quote from: Larvas on January 13, 2016, 03:57:25 PM
I'm new to the board and sorry for such a direct approach with 0 posts. The thing is, I recently acquired an older domain and it has wordpress 3.0 on it together with a vanilla2 forum. Although I'm good with WordPress and can do everything connected to it alone, I'm not that good with forums. So, my question is, is there anyone professional here offering migrating services?

I would need the whole current forum transferred to SMF without losing any permalinks/topics/users...
Hello and welcome to sm.org ;)

There is a converter available for Vanilla2, but I'm not sure if it works, never tried it.
SMF (or Simple Machines, the organization) does not offer any kind of paid service. You can, however, use our Help Wanted (not for support) board to request paid (or free) help on any given subject. Some times you'll have Team members offering their services for a price but do note that they are *never* doing it on behalf of SMF.

The basis of the conversion (or import, as the source is really untouched) is to keep the most important data, so members, forums, topics, posts, etc, have to happen :P If you have attachments, it is possible that these are converted too.
Links are... not that easy. Vanilla and SMF have very different ways to relate to the same content so you might require some kind of redirection, which will require custom coding. Possible but will add more time/work, thus cost.

So to shoot things off: do you have a database dump? Does your forum uses attachments?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Larvas

Quote from: margarett on January 13, 2016, 06:37:43 PM
So to shoot things off: do you have a database dump? Does your forum uses attachments?

Thank you for the welcome and the reply. So far all I know is that the forum has nearly 20.000 threads and around 100.000 replies, some of the replies are with attachments. I don't know about the database dump, but I will check that subforum and try to figure out who can help me :)

Thanks again!

margarett

It is fundamental to have access to the database and files (if you want to convert attachments too). If you are using Vanilla's hosted services then you need to get the db + files from them. See:
https://support.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/18503

Can we have a link to your forum? (PM me if you don't want to make it public)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

DukeofRealms

Hi,

What Vanilla version 2.0 or 2.1?

I modified the existing Vanilla to SMF converter to work with recent SMF updates 6 months ago: https://github.com/Realms-Network/Vanilla-2-to-SMF-2 [nofollow]

I converted 14K topics and 100K posts into 2.0.10. That converter should work, you just need to manually finish the steps when the conversion stops by changing the step values in the URL.

Are you still needing to convert?

Advertisement: