News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

color

Started by nurul112, January 17, 2016, 09:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Quote from: Illori on January 28, 2016, 08:03:57 PM
but you should NOT. we told you the correct way to do the task you wanted.

Okay so the saga continues, when I look at the index page with Firebug for FireFox ver. 43, all I get is the index.css.

When I go with Google Chrome ver. 48, and access Developer tools, I get is the index.html.

When I go with IE ver. 11, and use F12 for Developer tools, I get is the index.html.

When I use Opera ver. 34, Developer tools, it gives me the index.html and the style sheet (aka the index.css)

*is beginning not to care*

Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

I have no idea what you are looking at...  But none of those files seems to be what firebug displays...

viewing the forum index with Firefox plus firebug shows you the HTML display and the CSS which controls the look of that display.

The HTML display is where I got the category_2 from...  It is an ID, which means you use a # in front of it for CSS targeting.

If you update the CSS file, you may need to clear your forum cache and also your browser cache to see the change...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

If you are beginning not to care, then you are beginning the descent into ignorance. Never stop learning. A motto to live by.

Firebug and other such inspection tools can be daunting at first, but if you understand and learn the construction of a web page, those tools are invaluable. And you have to have the basics of CSS, too.

The kind folks who have already replied gave you great direction. CSS is simple really.

THING (class, ID, element) {
   CSS rules go here to define the appearance
}

You were including things inside your rules which of course won't work. And rather than typing any more if you really don't care, you can read up on CSS here or just ignore me, too:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Siirist

Thank you Kindred and mashby,

Put in those words gives this all new meaning.

I have modified about 15 websites. As of late they have had css files that I had to modify as well.

I acknowledge that I am still quite lacking in the world of css (thank you for the link mashby)

Okay so I believe that I am to find the part (element) that I want to modify in the html (ie. h2), then go into css and "define" what it does,
such as spaces (padding), font face (family), color, size (weight), and underline/bold/italics (text-decoration).

Am I going down the right road? Thinking along the right lines?

I'll take a fresh look at it in the morning.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

mashby

Your reply is very encouraging! Yes, that is the right road to proceed down. There are specific things you'll learn along the way. !important being one of them (just as an example). Box model. Oh, and you should also read up on beer. It has nothing to do with web stuff, but man, I really like it.
:)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

Except that no... You do not need to modify the php/HTML at all.   The element Id is already present in the code and you just need to tell the system what to do with it, in terms of display, by defining the CSS
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Quote from: Kindred on January 28, 2016, 11:33:12 PM
Except that no... You do. It need to modify the php/HTML at all.   The element Id is already present in the code and you just need to tell the system what to do with it, in terms of display, by defining the CSS

A clarification?

QuoteOkay so I believe that I am to find the part (element) that I want to modify in the html (ie. h2),
then go into css and "define" what it does

Thank you,
Siirist
Needed information:

Kindred

damned autocorrect...    that should read:  You do NOT need to modify the php/HTML at all.
Слaва
Украинi

Siirist

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2016, 02:06:48 PM
damned autocorrect... 

I know, right?!!

Quote...that should read:  You do NOT need to modify the php/HTML at all.

Wait, what? How can it work if I don't modify "the php/HTML at all"?

I attached the Themes/default/index.css. If perhaps someone could indicate which lines should be modified with the changes bolded as an example.

Thank you,
Siirist
Needed information:

Kindred

the php/html files ALREADY HAVE the categories IDed ...

you just have to ADD the CSS for each category ID to the CSS file.

e.g.
#category_2 { color: #000080 !important; }
#category_3 { color: #800000 !important; }
#category_4 { color: #008000 !important; }
Слaва
Украинi

Siirist

Umm. . . no.

You see when I search "#category" there is ONLY two occurrences of  "#category_2".

h3.catbg a:link, h3.catbg a:visited, h4.catbg a:link, h4.catbg a:visited, h3.catbg, .table_list tbody.header td, .table_list tbody.header td a
{
color: #fff;
}
#category_2                               <-HERE
{
color: blue !important;
}
h3.catbg2 a, h3.catbg2
{
color: #feb;
}
#category_2                                <-AND HERE
}

:-\

Siirist
Needed information:

Kindred

ummmm   yes....

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2016, 03:10:47 PM
Слaва
Украинi

Siirist

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2016, 03:26:22 PM
ummmm   yes....

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2016, 03:10:47 PM

Well, sh**!

Off to paid help. Unless that is you as well, if it is will you PM me with a price?

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Kindred

sorry, I just don't have the time
Слaва
Украинi

Siirist

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2016, 03:40:29 PM
sorry, I just don't have the time

No worries Kindred.  I have to choose my website layout, and SEO it, and then upload it, because somehow the site is getting 165,000 hits a month but there is not any new members in the forum.

Anyway, maybe another can do it for me.  :P

Be Well Kindred,
Siirist
Needed information:

Siirist

Hi Everyone,

Bringing this back to life.  :P

I don't know why, but even with all the explanation here, it is beyond me.

SOOOO, here are my thoughts on "other options".

I am currently using "Board-color-and-icons" which works well in all themes.

I have modified the color of the Categories by using <font color="0000FF">Category Title</font>, but Kindred said this was a bad idea (I checked my posts all the way back to May of 2015 (man, bookmarks MOD would be great here).

I today I discovered antiquated "Colorize Boards" (Colorize board names, descriptions and category names)

In order to comply with Kindred's statement about NOT using <font color>,
I could FIRST UN-install "Board-color-and-icons", (inexperienced members this is very important)
and then install "Colorize Boards" (using "How_can_I_install_a_mod_that_doesn't_work_in_my_SMF_version" because it is OLD and written for ver 2.0 RC4).

HOWEVER, I would loose the option for "...and icons". Yet, I should be able to go to Themes/(theme name here)/images and overwrite "off.png", "on.png", and "on2.png" with the icon I desire for that theme.

Would this make everything "all better"?

Thank you for your time to read all this and for your thoughts.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Siirist

Needed information:

Steve

I'm not trying to sound flippant so don't get me wrong but you could back everything up and just try it to see if it'll do what you want. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Siirist

Quote from: Steve on February 11, 2016, 05:29:46 PM
I'm not trying to sound flippant so don't get me wrong but you could back everything up and just try it to see if it'll do what you want. :)

Hey Steve,

Yup Yup   :P

Just laying it out so that

A) Kindred (who said it was bad to force Category color with html code) could say "Atta boy, or Hell No   ::)

B) Others could see how this could be done without coding    O:)

Thanks fer takin a look see.  ;)

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

Steve

Kindred's not the only one who recommends not using html but I'd listen to him. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. :P
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: