News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Speed up attachment viewing?

Started by Jade Elizabeth, January 24, 2016, 04:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

On my forum there seems to be a huge delay between clicking and viewing an attachment.

Is there a way to speed it up? Or display a loading bar? (or is a loading bar displaying and I've hidden it with the menu or something?

Example here
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

br360

Are attachments hidden for guests, as I'm seeing the attachment icon in the list of topics, but not seeing the actual attachment when viewing the thread.

The only loading progress bar I know of for attachment uploads is Nibogo's, but it's a paid mod- http://www.smfpacks.com/au/

Jade Elizabeth

Oops! Fixed it. I must have changed one of the profiles and not the default permissions before ha ha.

I don't think that plugin is what I am looking for. If you check out that link now you'll see a couple of attachments and see what I mean. That picture is 500 x 500 px, not big at all.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

nend

I am not seeing any attachments, on my mobile though. Will have to check it out when I get on my desktop.

Jade Elizabeth

This issue is not fixed, I fixed the attachments not being visible to guests, not the loading issue.

Please still look into this, it is not resolved!! Who ever marked it resolved should have read more than the first 3 words of the post!!!!!!

Also Nend not sure if attachments work on Mobile but I do appreciate you taking a look at it :D.

br360

I wasn't the one that marked as solved, but sorry that it was marked solved if it wasn't. Is this problem happening with just you or are your other members having the same issue as well?

I ask because I just checked out a few of the topics on your forum that had attachments and they seemed to open fairly quickly and I was able to see the attachments right away- they also did load fairly quickly when clicking on the attachment image to make it bigger.

There may have been a slight delay when clicking the image to enlarge but I personally didn't notice anything longer than a second or two and wouldn't have really thought twice about it if you hadn't said something. I would keep checking but you limit the amount of threads guests can open per day. ;)

Jade Elizabeth

I do ha ha. If it can get me to join TAZ then there's hope for the technique yet!

It seems to me that first time you view things it takes 3-10 seconds to load an image, shorter if it's been loaded by anyone else.

After you've viewed them they take only a second. I think browser cache and forum cache are at play here.

It's happening for everyone though, the initial delay, and it's deterring people from viewing attachments at all.

nend

Argh, really
QuoteAll guests are limited to 16 page views per day.
We now invite you to login or register to continue accessing the forum.

I did experience the slow load times for the attachments.

However when I tried to inspect it with my console the slow load times weren't there most of the time.

I think I spotted it though, not sure, looks like a external resource call but I had to refresh the test to be sure but got the error message above.  :-\

nend

Went ahead and registered, I will not receive any spam?  :o

The wife loves coloring anyways, so might go through and see what you have there.

In any matter the JavaScript is not the bottleneck and it looks like the server is taking a little while to respond. Usually around 3 seconds while the scripting portion is lightning fast.

Jade Elizabeth

I haven't started spamming yet ha ha. I do intend to but it will be a once a month thing and it will be pretty/neat with pictures and links to interesting topics, free pages, etc, all in the one email. Thinking of turning off daily notifications too and only allowing weekly but got to really think it through because if I can disable it in member options that would be better.

I'm making a coloring book so get her to sign up so she can get a discount if she likes it! :D Also a competition coming up soon to win free pages or a free copy of the book so she might like that :D.

As for the external resource any glimpse on what it was? You're welcome to spam attachments to test (just do it in the jokes board lol).

Jade Elizabeth

Does anyone have any ideas? :)

Attachments are a HUGE part of this forum and I need them to load speedily.

nend

Sorry for leaving you hanging there, been real busy this week. Been having to make cutbacks at work, the joys of being in management. :-/

Will try to give you a hand next week.

Jade Elizabeth

Thanks man! I know how it goes. My fiance's just come out of hospital and I am full time caring for him for the next few weeks.

Bloc

One thing you could try is using CSS to add the full attachment right away(background-image) - only shown when clicking the small thumbnail. You won't see the loading (other than if a browser shows the details of loading the site) and its right there when you click it. I am using that in a SMF theme I am working on.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: Bloc on February 13, 2016, 06:35:02 AM
One thing you could try is using CSS to add the full attachment right away(background-image) - only shown when clicking the small thumbnail. You won't see the loading (other than if a browser shows the details of loading the site) and its right there when you click it. I am using that in a SMF theme I am working on.

How do you mean Bloc?

I think it would be better if the image were just displayed big at this point, people are getting upset their topics have a lot of views but the images "don't".

Antechinus

You can do that too. Just disable thumbnails, and use CSS to scale the image to fit available post width. Simple.

Bloc

The great thing about a thumbnail + the full picture-hidden-on-default after each other, is that while you see only the small thumbnails, the big picture will have time to be downloaded once you press the thumbnail. Its not javascript, rather a :target routine. And since the big picture shows in full width and adjust to any users screen, it will look more modern. Plus its instantly there(its a background image that will download in the background giving a better user experience overall IMO)

Thats all. :)

(check out the Display.template of the the ModernStyle theme for a demonstration, or visit: http://demos.bjornhkristiansen.com/index.php?topic=4.msg4#)

radu81

is loading fine on my tablet, took a second or less to open an attachment
sorry for my bad english

Antechinus

Quote from: Bloc on March 30, 2016, 02:14:08 PM
The great thing about a thumbnail + the full picture-hidden-on-default after each other, is that while you see only the small thumbnails, the big picture will have time to be downloaded once you press the thumbnail. Its not javascript, rather a :target routine. And since the big picture shows in full width and adjust to any users screen, it will look more modern. Plus its instantly there(its a background image that will download in the background giving a better user experience overall IMO)

Thats all. :)

(check out the Display.template of the the ModernStyle theme for a demonstration, or visit: http://demos.bjornhkristiansen.com/index.php?topic=4.msg4#)

Well, doing it that way still gives you greater overall page load time compared to just straight up displaying the image, scaled to post width via CSS. You have more markup, more CSS, and a requirement to click. The only advantage is a more compact display of thumbnails when you don't want to view the actual image. So which one is better is going to depend on how many images you have, combined with personal preference.

Bloc

Requirement to click is an advantage, you get to see the smaller thumbnail quickly(ish). Having full width images waiting to be downloaded and THEN scaled is not the best user experience. On slow connections thats akin to pure torture lol. At least downloading both should make it rather quick since CSS background images will not hold up the download of the others and since its not showed you will not see any downloading progress. 

But I suggest trying it out and see. The smallest and quickest option is of course just showing the pure links. :D

Advertisement: