Is there a current Member Mapping Mod for SMF 2.09?

Started by SusanJoM, January 30, 2016, 07:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusanJoM

The members of the forum are agitating for a map, but the only option I've been able to find
https://github.com/Spuds/SMF-Google-Member-Map

absolutely refuses every attempt I make to upload it.

I can download the zip file but always get a message that the file is empty.

I hate to admit to the members that I can't do it....:-((((

br360

Installing Mods from Github is a little different than just uploading it through the pacakage manager. Take a look at the error message you are getting; I assume you have seen this one when uploading the mod through the package manager?

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

First thing to make sure the package manager and temp directory are both writable. If you can upload other mods, I am going to guess they are, but double check anyway.

I'm going to guess you already did step one and downloaded the package to your PC. You can follow the directions for step 2 and 3 and go through your FTP. If you have cpanel or plesk, you can also go into your file manager, find public_html/Your folder where SMF is/Packages (it should be in the same area where your avatar, attachments, cache folders, sources, etc. are as well)

Once you have opened the packages folder, just upload the mod there (set permissions to 777), and then extract it. This should now give you a new folder in that directory as well that will say "SMF-Google-Member-Map-master"

Once that is done, you can go back into your package manger. The mod should now be there and you can then install it like any other mod that you have downloaded from the mod site here.

Just make sure to do a back up of your site before you do any of this, just in case there is an issue. ;)

SusanJoM

Yup, that's the one.
And yes I have been able to download and install other mods, but I guess I will have to pass this job up the chain of command because SMF is actually on a server I don't have direct access to.  In any case, thank you for making it clear why I have failed so miserably, and I will pass this on to the guy who holds the reins....

SusanJoM

Okay, so when we got the mod installed the next thing was that clicking on Profile brings up a completely blank page.  Also when you try to get there by clicking on the "go to put in a pin" from the mod itself.

This is the error message on the server side

[Mon Feb 01 15:28:55.491425 2016] [:error] [pid 23096] [client 50.76.16.203:50541] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare template_profile_googlemap_modify() (previously declared in /srv/sites/www.hukyforum.com/Sources/Load.php(2162) : eval()'d code:2839) in /srv/sites/www.hukyforum.com/Sources/Load.php(2162) : eval()'d code on line 3051, referer: http://www.hukyforum.com/index.php

br360

It looks like the mod was not fully installed properly, and some of the files/templates may be missing. I did install the mod on a test site just to make sure it did work properly, and it does seem to be working as it should.

How did the person who installed it do it? Did they extract the files on their computer first and then upload them through FTP or their cpanel, or did they upload the package right to the server and extract it afterwards?

SusanJoM

Here's his response to your question:

I cloned the git repository, created a tar.gz archive within the clone, uploaded it using the package manager, clicked "Install Mod".

If there's a different recommended install process, I'm game. The instructions in the github repo made it sound like this is the way to go, and it's what we've done with the other mods.

Illori

download the zip from github, unpack the archive. you will see it as a folder, open that folder. zip/archive the contents of that folder so it is in the "root" of the archive. then go ahead and install it with the package manager.

Kindred

Cannot redeclare template_profile_googlemap_modify()

that means that you have installed it TWICE
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SusanJoM

JF3000

Oops! Something went wrong.
This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.

What does this mean, its the only thing preventing it from working.

Advertisement: