News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

MOD to post related News on my forum

Started by Siirist, February 01, 2016, 02:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hi folks,

Okay, the nature of this seems a stretch (difficult) because a "person" needs to register and become a member to post. *scratches head*

However, previously had something that did this, yet you have to remember that I go back to SMF ver 1.0.

I still have the member with username "I Just Post News". This would allow that "member" to post in the forum. Hmmm . . .

And I found this trail -> "Your Sanctuary » The Parlor ~ Open to all members - General » General Health News » (Automated Posts~Temporarily Suspended)

Here is a post from that "MOD":

How to get in touch with your inner beauty - MiamiHerald.com
30 June 2009, 12:04 am

MiamiHerald.com

How to get in touch with your inner beauty

MiamiHerald.com

They came up with The Beauty Prescription: The Complete Formula for Looking and Feeling Beautiful (McGraw Hill, $24.95). They advise women on how to make ...

and more »

Source: women Health and beauty - Google News

All this indicates that a MOD did exist that posted news. My hope is that the MOD would be "adjustable" to seek news on topics/subjects that are related to the content of the forum.

Yes I did a search for "News" in Modifications and those that came up seem to post from boards or topics already on the forum to a "News" board.

For all I know, this could be an RSS?, no, that wouldn't work, they need to be a member to post. Hmmm . . .

What can I do to get something to post related news on to a specific board on my forum?

Most Sincerely,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

there are two mods which will import RSS feeds as posts.

You can also use the Custom Form mod to create a form which will post a message to the forum -- and does not need to be done by a logged in user (I think)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2016, 02:41:41 PM
there are two mods which will import RSS feeds as posts.

You can also use the Custom Form mod to create a form which will post a message to the forum -- and does not need to be done by a logged in user (I think)

Thanks Kindred,

I was searching with "news" as the search word.  :P

I found them searching with "RSS". I am inclined to use the one that is compatible with SMF ver 2.0 RC4
(I will just use "Advanced" in the Package Manager and emulate as ver 2.0 RC4).

This is because the one compatible with 2.0.11 "Requires fsockopen,fopen, or curl php function to be enabled". What the hell is that?!!  :o

Anyway, can I somehow have the RSS post news related to abuse (for Family & Friends) or survival or encouragement (for those that have been abused).

Thank you again,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Kindred

the RSS feed poster does not sort the feeds (ummm... well, one of them did, but I don't think that one does)

you pick an RSS feed and the mod imports everything from that feed. It's up to you to choose the correct feed(s) for content that you want imported.

for example
http://www.askawitchcommunity.org/index.php?board=18.0
pulls from this feed
http://paganpages.org/content/feed/
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Yeah, I was thinking that in my sub-conscious, ie, select somewhere that you continuously want feed to be from.  O:)

Sweet!!  :D

Thank you for all your guidance,  :)
Siirist
Needed information:

Advertisement: