News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How risky/hard is it to move from 1.1 to 2.0?

Started by lemur21, February 01, 2016, 04:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemur21

So - like many, I'm sure, my webhost no longer supports PHP 5.4 (or, rather, charges about $10 a month to continue supporting it). I upgraded to 1.1.21 (from 1.1.17), but I get the "Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ...." errors.

So, I guess I'm looking to move to 2.0. I don't have a huge board; but there's a lot of info there I'd like to not lose. How hard is it to update the software? How risky? What am I in for?

I see the sticky, basically saying this is my only real option -- but, is there a step-by-step process I can more easily follow? Obviously, the biggest concern is that the modifications stay working ....

Thanks!

Illori

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

for your mods, you will need to check each one on the mod site and see if they have been upgraded or similar mods exist.

as long as you do a good backup of your files and database you can always revert if you run into issues.

lemur21

Hi Illori,

OK - a few other quick questions, if you don't mind .............

1 - I've done the backup and downloaded 2.0.11 -- it says to extract the archive and upload the files (through an FTP connection tool). Literally, I should just put these into the same folder that currently exists (just copy/paste?)

2 - I'm COMPLETELY lost on the set file and directory permissions ... I don't recall ever doing this before (is this done through the FTP? On my hosting packages control panel?)

3 - And, finally, when all that is done, just figure out where the upgrade.php file resides and access it through the website?

I'm a bit lost -- I'm not a "techie" by trade; and I probably set up this forum 6-7 years ago (and haven't done much/anything with it since then, save for the patch updates to the newer version in the 1.1 series).

Thanks!

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: lemur21 on February 01, 2016, 05:26:39 PM

1 - I've done the backup and downloaded 2.0.11 -- it says to extract the archive and upload the files (through an FTP connection tool). Literally, I should just put these into the same folder that currently exists (just copy/paste?)

How did you backup your database?  There are good ways and bad ways, this is the most important thing to get right before upgrading.

Yes, you extract the zip on your local, then upload the entire package to the forum root.  You can use an FTP client (i.e., FileZilla), or your cpanel file manager.  FTP is usually faster and easier.  The upgrade package will overwrite the 1.1.21 files.

2 - I'm COMPLETELY lost on the set file and directory permissions ... I don't recall ever doing this before (is this done through the FTP? On my hosting packages control panel?)

You shouldn't have to mess with that unless upgrade.php has a problem.  Directories should be set to 755, files to 644.  Permissions can be set in your cpanel file manager, or with an FTP client (unless you're on a Windows server).

3 - And, finally, when all that is done, just figure out where the upgrade.php file resides and access it through the website?

The upgrade files are in the upgrade package, and will be uploaded to forum root.  Link directly to www.your domain.com/forumrootdirectory/upgrade.php.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lemur21

Hi Sir Osis,

I backed up two ways:

1 - the backup function through SMF

2a - I exported the database through the control panel on my webhost and 2b - downloaded my *entire* website (forum and all) through FileZilla .....

I know the backup document says to try and import it back in; but, apparently, phpmyadmin doesn't allow large file's to be uploaded ..... I'm kinda praying at this point, I think....

Sir Osis of Liver

Praying won't help (nobody's listening).  The admin backup feature is not reliable and should not be used, (it's been removed from 2.1).  If you've created a backup with cpanel backup, it should be good, but do it several times and confirm that backup file size is the same.  Did you clear your error log?  That often is a major bloat in forum databases (just worked on one with a 6GB+ error log, almost 17 million errors).  Try emptying the log and export the db as zip or gzip with phpmyadmin, see if you get the whole thing (do it more than once).  You can also check with your host and ask if they can import the db in the event you can't.  Some hosts will (mine does), some won't, and some charge for doing it.

- R. Waters

lemur21

Heh ...

Well, it seems academic.

I did the upgrade, and it seemed to "work" -- in that the forum is operating.

However ........ many features seem to be broken. More than I even know how to tackle. I'm definitely a bit lost now.

Smileys - gone; I don't even have a menu bar along the top of the forum (so I have to kinda of think "where" the Home and Admin links are). Many of the mods - obviously - are toasted (

Sir Osis of Liver

Link to your forum?  1.1.x mods and themes will not work in 2.0.11, you'll have to install 2.0 versions.  The mods are effectively removed when the forum files are overwritten.  Themes will still be there, but only 2.0 Curve and Core will work properly.

- R. Waters

lemur21

Can I message it to you?

I wish I'd saved a screenshot of how it looked before! :)

Sir Osis of Liver

Pm the link, I'll have a look.  Would save some grief if you can also provide temporary admin access.

- R. Waters

lemur21

Sent you a PM - with a bunch of info ...

Thanks so much!

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, you're running Bloc's Amber theme, which was last updated to 1.1.12, that's why things are missing.  You'll have to reset the theme to Curve in Admin -> Themes and Layout.  Change both Overall forum default: and Reset everyone to:.  If you can't get there, try http://www.domain.com/SMF/index.php?theme=1, that should give you full access.  You'll have to find a 2.0 theme that's close to what you had, and customize it to duplicate your 1.1.21 look.

- R. Waters

lemur21

Yes -- we're getting there :)

How can I find "2.0" themes -- and how can I find potential updates to the mods I had (like, for example, I can no longer see who has voted in the polls .....) that are compatible with 2.0?

Sir Osis of Liver

Search 'Modifications' top of this page, use the mod titles.  Not all have been updated to 2.0, that's up to the mod author.  You can look at 2.0 themes at these links -

http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/
http://demo.dzinerstudio.com/
http://www.jpr62.com/demos/

Some are premium themes ($$$), most are free.

- R. Waters

lemur21

OK - so -- it lists what it's compatible with ...

This is the mod I'm missing the most (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=347)

Everything else is aesthetic, I think -- but that one is pretty important (since it allows me to see who voted for what option).

Is there anything inherent in 2.0 that enabled that natively?

lemur21

OK - yeah - I see a new one ... Ugh, looks like I'm back to debugging my site from scratch :(  -- I'll find all my old posts and see if I can make the same changes; and pick a theme (themes are largely unimportant -- for the most part, I'm more interested in function than form ....)

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

lemur21

Does it have to be 2.0.7? Or, are all 2.0 mods compatible?

So - for example -- this one?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3003

Sir Osis of Liver

Most 2.0.x mods should work in 2.0.11.  Try it and see, but do a complete backup of the upgraded forum first.

- R. Waters

lemur21

Thanks ....

Sigh -- I've got a lot of work ahead of me :)

I appreciate your time ;)

Advertisement: