News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

CSS keeps messing up

Started by lscstu22, February 04, 2016, 08:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lscstu22

I'm not sure if this has to do with my host, X10 hosting, or SMF, but the stylesheets for my forum keep messing up.

I think it has to do with SMF caching though, because after about 5 mins of working on my forum the css always messes up--whenever I visit the css url it's a blank page??

SMF is awesome, but this is really starting to be a pain in the ass... this is my forum ninthid dot tk

Whenever I go to the css source file, it's a blank page: ninthid dot tk slash Themes slash inferno_20a slash css slash index.css

I removed the ?fin20 from index.template.php, and it worked for a while but now it's doing the same thing again. Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm not allowed to post external links... ? seriously... ?? -.-

EDIT: heres some info it it helps:
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.11 (more detailed)
Current SMF version: ??
GD version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
MySQL version: 5.5.44-MariaDB-cll-lve
PHP: 5.5.31
Server version: Apache
the only mod i have installed is ezportal

EDIT2: im using the dzinerstudio inferno theme

Kindred

you should not be allowed to view any SMF files via direct URL.

the ?fin20 is indeed the caching marker are its presence (or absence) will have no appreciable affect on your viewing.

You say " the stylesheets for my forum keep messing up."
This is, unfortunately, not a useful description.
What do you mean by "messing up"?
(screen shot before/after?)

(as a note, the limit on external links is a spam prevention measure. The limit goes away after 1 or 2 (non-spam) posts.)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lscstu22

thanks for your reply

by 'messing up' i mean not being loaded. my site loads up with no styling

i attached the before and after pics

Kindred

you cut out the URL/address bar in those screen shots...

is the URL actually the same in both cases?

The problem you show is most often noticed when the site is accessed by a DIFFERENT URL from the one listed in the theme's setting.
it doesn't usually trigger on www versus non-www
but we have seen it when people access their site from mysite.blah but have it set up on somesite.blah and are using some sort of redirect to try and bounce the display, without bouncing the entire view. (if that made any sense at all - I just reread what I wrote and realized it's confusing)

another case appears to be when initially setting up - the admin submits a URL into the settings, but the system neglects to record it, saving 127.0.0.1 instead.
We have HEARD one case described (once!) where this seems to have happened to an established forum, but we've been unable to reproduce the conditions that triggered it.

So -- when it fails to load the CSS (the white background page) -- if you look at the source of the page (HTML, in the browser) -- what is the URL that the system is attempting to use to load the CSS file?  is it 127.0.0.1/Themes/inferno_20a/css/index.css or is it something else?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lscstu22

Yes, they were the same url. no www, ninthid dot tk slash index.php

ya whenever i looked at the source it was ninthid dot tk and not 127.0.0.1

x10 hosting is a free hosting service, so if its not smf it may be that... although i have multiple sites with x10 hosting and this is the first time ive had problems

do u have any other ideas by chance? thanks for all your help so far.

Kindred

I can't check right now, because your site (like many) is blocked from inside my office network. I'll try to take a look when I get home in a few hours
Слaва
Украинi

lscstu22

nvm! it seems like it is x10 hosting... i just got this message:

QuoteError 503 Backend fetch failed

Backend fetch failed
Guru Meditation:

XID: 41681903

Varnish cache server

and googling "x10 hosting error 503 backend fetch failed" yields the evidence

thanks for all your help kindred. have a good one

Kindred

ah yeah...   it looks like they are using some sort of server-side caching which is failing on you...

I'd recommend getting a better host. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: