News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Database connection issues

Started by rexall9000, February 04, 2016, 07:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexall9000

Fri 05 Feb, 6:55 am

Hi ForumMates!

This has happened before, I am not sure whether it is was the same forum or different ones on the same server.  I would appreciate it if someone can explain what goes wrong and walk me through the fix.

Re:  http://www.mindbodythailand.com   V.2.0.11

This morning we were getting a Maintenance Mode error message:

"Maintenance Mode
Okay faithful users...we're attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we're back!"

So, I go into settings.php and change the maintenance setting from "2" to "O."  Now we get this database error:

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Thanks for your help!

Kindred

well, have you checked? Is your database there?  Did your host change something?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

You really need to check with your host.

To the best of my knowledge, SMF *never* changes your settings (be it maintenance mode or anything else) which means that someone did it.
Now that you reverted that, the database can't be reached. Please confirm that the database login details are correct and check with your host for the database server state.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

rexall9000

Tks guys. I will open a ticket with my host.  However, as I said, this is a new host and the problem used to occur from time-to-time on the old host. 

margarett

I understand that but, like I said, SMF doesn't change settings for you. If you didn't do it, someone did :P
(unless you have some MOD which might do that but I don't know any...)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

leaving repair_settings.php on your server even if the file is renamed could cause this to happen.

rexall9000

Thanks, guys!  Actually, you pointed me to the solution without meaning to!   8)  repair_settings.php was not on the server, but I decided to add and use it.  All or most of the databases have the same username/password . . . but the one in question had ones that were quite different.  Sooooo . . . I changed them to login that all the other databases had.  Wala!  Opoen Sesamie! 

What could explain this?  I would never have known that the login was wrong or changed except by deducing that since all the other dbs had the same login, it might work on this one as well.  At least now I know what the cause was if it happens again. But how weird!

Steve

If you don't already know, remove repair_settings.php when you're done with it. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

rexall9000

Tanks, Steve.  If you don't remove it, you get a big warning the next time you access the forum.

Advertisement: