News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Logout when installing a mod

Started by MM617, February 05, 2016, 01:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MM617

Hi all!

So I'm facing this problem for a few days now, searched a lot on the forum but didn't manage to get it solved yet..

My forum has been a little on ''autorun'' for a while, now we're going to do some big changes to the community so the forum requires a few mods to accomplish that, the mods upload fine to the package manager, but when I press install (or even ''list files'') it logs me out with this message "Only registered members are allowed to access this section." this also happens when I try to install an upgrade.

The chmod settings seem to be fine, I tried clearing all caches, a fresh set of files at the ftp, but so far no luck :( I have no idea what else I could try in order to make this work, I tried to install the mods manually but then I get some errors so that doesn't work either.

At the main page of the administration centre it also throws this error at me "You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file."

Hopefully someone knows a solution  ;D

Illori

ask your host to disable mod_security.

MM617

Quote from: Illori on February 05, 2016, 01:12:28 PM
ask your host to disable mod_security.

Thanks for the quick response! I contacted my host in meantime, they told me they don't run the mod_security at all and adviced me to use a newer PHP version, it was running on PHP 5.4. I tried 5.5, 5.6 which didn't solve it either, after trying 7.0 it threw a database error at me so I went back to 5.6 and the forum works again but the problem with the package manager remains.

MM617

Got some more info and progress on the issue:

-Installed a fresh SMF 2.0.11 forum on the same host in another directory
-Package manager sometimes fetches the latest mods and packages
-When it fetches the mods, I get a white screen on installation. When it doesn't fetch them I get logged out again.

What I tried to solve this:
-Created the phpinfo file to check the host's phplimit which is 128M
-Edited the class-package.php and admin.php files to 128M limit as well (didn't solve the issues either)
-Made a .htaccess file declaring 128M php limit (also didn't solve it)
-Set everything to chmod 777 which also didn't solve anything.

I'll continue with trying to solve this, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know ;)

Kindred

How are you trying to install mods?

If you are trying to download from SMF's mod site within the package manager ---  try using a manually downloaded file to upload directly instead...

It sounds like your host may have restrictions on your site making outside connections.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MM617

On the fresh install I tried both ways, first I uploaded the mod I already had downloaded to my computer, when that didn't work I downloaded one straight from the SMF site in the package manager but with both the same issue appears.

I also raised the limits in the class-package and admin files to 128M at my live forum, didn't make any difference too and that one doesn't fetch the latest packages at all  :-\

Kindred

right... the memory limit is an older thing that only affected a few hosts and was represented by the white screen of death...

forced logout is a sessions issue -- and it seems that your server, for some reason, is dropping the session when you attempt to upload a mod.

Can you install a theme?

What about attachments in posts?

Can you add smileys?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MM617

Just tried all 3 of them, installing a theme is no problem at all adding attachments works also fine.

Adding smileys through the package manager results in a white screen, installing them via the smileys tab works though :)

Kindred

ok...      So that, right there, seems to be indicative of a server issue - almost definitely with mod_security, regardless of what the host has claimed...

the failure on MODS ONLY and nothing else which does an upload really points to that...
Слaва
Украинi

MM617

It seems it's really a problem on the server side, I still had an empty hosting package (on another server of theirs) so I did a fresh install on that aco****** as well and exactly the same happens..

Thanks for the support so far! :) I'll contact my host again with this new info and let's see what they will say...

MM617

They already came to me, they said they really don't run mod_security but that they do run Suhosin no idea if that could be an issue too??

Kindred

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about suhosin to say...   

There does seem to be SOME restriction on the server's security side of things what is killing the session when you attempt to load a mod.
The odd thing is that is does not trigger when you load a theme, attachment or smiley (individual)
Слaва
Украинi

MM617

Just had contact with my host again, they would like some info about how the package manager works in the background and what kind of modules it needs in order to work so they can dig into it and see what is exactly going wrong

margarett

Can we have a phpinfo please?
What is a phpinfo() file?

It always suggests a "security module", hopefully phpinfo tells us which is it. Suhosin is a great candidate as we've seen some weird issues on its behalf. Eg
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=538369.0
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

MM617

Of course you can :) the phpinfo file is located here: http://delainfans.nl/fanclub/forum/phpinfo.php

I'll go through the topic link you provided to see if I can try anything from there as well   :)

Little edit:
Saw this in the other thread: "Disable hostname lookups" I tried this, it does make some kind of difference, it now fetches the latest packages and the latest news from SMF which didn't happen before but it still logs me out when installing a mod.. but seems we got some progress here ;D

margarett

Sessions also have a strange config. Not saying it's wrong (not by a long shot, that's not my "league") but session.gc_probability set 0 and session.save_handler to redis is also new to me.

What are your cookies and sessions settings in SMF?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

MM617

No idea about these things either I'm not a big wizard either haha :P

My settings for cookies & settings:

Cookie name is SMFCookie443
Login length 60 minutes

Local storage of cookies is enabled
Subdomain independent & Secure cookies are disabled

Database driven sessons is enabled
Allow browsers to go back to cached pages is also enabled
Seconds before unused session timeout is 2880

By coincidence I came across a few guys at the Dutch forum who had trouble at the same host as me, they had lack of support that is not the case here yet but in the end they moved to another host because of that.. but so far they're pretty helpful :)

Kindred

hmmm....   what happens if you turn local cookies OFF and subdomain independent cookies ON?

Does that help?

If not, try switching OFF the database driven sessions?
Слaва
Украинi

MM617

Tried both of them, it doesn't make any difference it still logs me out when I install the mod..

The only difference is when it prompts me to log in again that I can go straight to the admin panel, before I had to re-fill my password again before I could access it.

MM617

Quote from: margarett on February 09, 2016, 12:09:11 PM
Sessions also have a strange config. Not saying it's wrong (not by a long shot, that's not my "league") but session.gc_probability set 0 and session.save_handler to redis is also new to me.

What are your cookies and sessions settings in SMF?

Contacted my host about this, they indeed use the redis to handle the sessions and say it's nothing strange, and that it's up to SMF to make it compatible with that configuration.

So no idea if I can do or modify anything to make this work? I can still try to install the mods manually of course

Advertisement: