News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Feature Request - Selective Usergroup Permissions on a Per-Poll Basis

Started by Michael Vail, February 06, 2016, 04:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Vail

Hello,

I haven't found a Mod for this and it would seem most suited as a default feature anyway. If there is a mod, please let me know.

I host an SMF 2.0 Forum with multiple usergroups. I often use polls to collect info from our users. Here's my problem:

Polling permissions are based upon usergroups. This means if I allow a usergroup to vote in polls, they get to vote in ALL polls. Conversely, if I don't allow the group to vote in polls, they can't vote in any polls. This is problematic for me because I frequently want different usergroups to vote in certain polls but not others.

REQUEST: I like to see options added so when you setup each poll, you can select which usergroups can vote in them when the poll is created instead of using overall usergroup permissions to control this. It would be similar to when you announce a topic and can pick the usergroups to announce to.

Thank you for SMF! I've been a loyal user of the software for over 10 years and really appreciate all the time everyone puts into maintaining and developing it!

Mike Vail
Windsor CA. USA

Kindred

You could just put the polls in member groups access boards...  That way they only see the polls that you want them to vote in

It's unlike to ever be made as a feature, because 1- it doesn't seem like something that the majority of sites would needs/use... And 2- smf doesn't do access control at the individual thread level... 
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

or you can create a permission profile for that board only allowing certain membergroups to vote

Michael Vail

Thank you for the replies:

QuoteYou could just put the polls in member groups access boards...  That way they only see the polls that you want them to vote in

I need all the users to see the every board on my site. Every board contains info relevant to all users, but some users simply aren't allowed to vote in some polls and others are because of their status in the community.

Quoteor you can create a permission profile for that board only allowing certain membergroups to vote

We need the ability to use polls in every board in order to collect into from users depending on the topic. Without this, the content of our boards would not be sorted well or in such a way to find relevant information easily. This idea won't work for us.

I guess it will remain a feature request at this point and I doubt that there's a work-around out there that fits our needs. It's surprising that more communities don't have this issue. I know I'm not the only one who runs communities that require the ability to limit polling on a per group basis depending upon the topic the poll exists in. And to use blanket permissions for membergroup voting when there's a need for all membergroups of the community to be able to vote in polls at one time or another depending on the topic is kind of backwards given the flexibility SMF offers in may other ways. 

Thanks again for trying,
Mike Vail
Windsor, Ca.

Illori

then you want a mod created for your forum. i really doubt this would ever become a feature and if so it would not be in the near future.

Advertisement: