News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

recent posts visable to different user groups

Started by jeffp1956, February 07, 2016, 03:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffp1956

I would like a mod that allowed me to make recent posts not visible to different user groups i have a pay site  in its present form recent posts are visible to anyone allowing non paying members to access content on the pay side. I am controlling access via member group board visibility at present i searched all the mods to the best of my ability and cant find anything
As with most things in life YMMV

Kindred

Unless you have modified something that should not be happening.

In SMF, users are only ever allowed to see content and actions that they can complete.
In other words, if they can not access a board, they will NEVER see the content from that board, even i the "recent posts" lists. They will only see content that they can get to.

If they are seeing content from your "paid" boards...
then either
a- you have improperly set permissions which has allowed them access to the board
b- you have installed a mod which has changed the core functionality of SMF (improperly, IMO) and has allowed users to access posts in a section where they should not be allowed.

in the case of a...  no mod needed.  fix your permissions and the problem goes away. :)
in the case of b...  no additional mod needed. talk to the author of the bad mod and have them fix the access. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Good Morning Kindred,

Still on my first cup of coffee ~  ::)

I have an especially unique forum as I have split the forum into three sections based on the membergroups.
And this gets more complicated if you are using the option in a member's profile to add them to an "Additional Membergroup".

I discovered that using the board permissions was not enough remember that those permissions are just on / off by default.

I had to remember that ANY MEMBER ALWAYS BELONGS to the Regular Membergroup and that granted them quite a few permissions by default.

l even if I had set certain boards to no be visible to a particular membergroup, it was possible that another permission granted them access.

There are when creating or modifying a membergroup, of selecting a permission from the "Inherit Permissions" drop-down menu that by default is set to "Inherit from: Regular Members". Due to the specialization of my forum, I often chose "No - Use Unique Permissions" and then looked over the permissions and carefully selected them.

My point is that permissions are can be can be as gentle as a white sheet (light and somewhat see-through) or as commanding as a quilt (heavy and impenetrable).

In my case I actually had to (carefully) use the Deny option. Be cautious with this (as I recall, I was not careful and accidentally made my Global Moderator feel like a guest)!!!

WOW. This is a LONG post. There are extensive permissions.
You are encouraged to learn more here http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions especially at the end where a member belongs to two membergroups are present (Regular Member and Moderator, or in your case? Regular Member AND Paid Member)

The "higher ups" (like Kindred) can probably explain this even better, but I didn't want these components of Permissions to be forgotten.

Best Intentions,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Advertisement: