News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Best mod for changing board-icons?

Started by JollyGuru, February 07, 2016, 03:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JollyGuru

I want to change the board-icons in my forum to my own designs.  :)

I recon I need a mod for this.
These are the ones that I find on the mod-site :

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3604
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=511

Which one would you recommend me to use. Considering, ease of install, less risk of screwing up files etc?

br360

The first one is probably easier in that you have the ability to use an external image link for a board icon, instead of having to upload the icons to your server first. The downside is that I don't think that mod is supported anymore really...at least not as much as the second one is...as the author of the second mod is in fact much more active here.

JollyGuru

Quote from: br360 on February 07, 2016, 03:44:27 PM
The first one is probably easier in that you have the ability to use an external image link for a board icon, instead of having to upload the icons to your server first. The downside is that I don't think that mod is supported anymore really...at least not as much as the second one is...as the author of the second mod is in fact much more active here.

Thank you.  :)
Yes, that was my impression after browsing the forum-threads for each mod.
There is one thing that confuses me about the second mod:
It says it can only be used with the 'default theme'.
Does this mean the ORIGINAL default SMF theme or does it mean whichever theme is CURRENTLY set as default for my forum?

br360

It means the original default theme...not your custom theme you are using as your default.

You can still use this mod on custom themes, but will most likely have to manually add the mod's code into some of your custom theme's files.

JollyGuru

Quote from: br360 on February 08, 2016, 03:37:08 AM
It means the original default theme...not your custom theme you are using as your default.

You can still use this mod on custom themes, but will most likely have to manually add the mod's code into some of your custom theme's files.

Ugh. I see headaches coming  :P Yet, I may give it a go. Thanks for clarifying buddy! I appreciate it!  ;D

Advertisement: